Chapter 14

With a silent burp and a pat on my stomach, I finished eating the once again delectable food. Slenda's cooking has yet not to amaze me. It is astonishing how good it is.

I grabbed my plate and stood up before walking into the kitchen. I set the plate in the sink and began to run the water. Slenda said I was allowed to do the dishes the night before last. The only reason I didn't do it last night is that I fell asleep before dinner, and Slenda didn't want to wake me. So, I'm going to do them tonight. At least, if Slenda doesn't catch me before I start, I will.

You may be wondering why I'm so persistent in trying to help. Most teenagers would be grateful not to have to do anything. To not have any chores. Especially when I was the only one who did chores back in the day. But I feel as if I owe Slenda, and cleaning and cooking are the only things I'm good at. So it's the only thing I can do to pay her back for what she's doing for me.

Without even seeing her, I knew Slenda was standing behind me. The same feeling I get every time she's around rose inside of me. I stopped scrubbing the dish and turned to face her. She had her arms crossed as she looked down at me. She wasn't mad, I could tell.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Doing the dishes. You said I could." I replied.

"Did I?"

"Yeah. A few days ago, when Smiley had an appointment with me right after dinner. Remember?"

"Oh..." She sounded, remembering now.

She uncrossed her arms and walked beside me.

"It means more than you know that you're willing to help me, but you don't have to."

I smiled and looked up at her.

"I want to." I claimed.

A smile grew on her face.

"Okay, I'll let you help me today. I'll dry." She said.

She then grabbed the towel and one of the dishes I have already finished cleaning.

"Why don't you get a dishwasher?" I asked her.

"We do have one. A Roomba as well, but I don't use them unless I get sick." She looked down at me. "Little secret between the two of us, cleaning is what keeps me happy." She admitted.

"You can get sick?" I asked her, very surprised.

She nodded.

"Yeah. Not very often. Once every 5-200 years is a guestimate. But when I do, it's not very pleasant." She answered.

"Even though I am a demon, I do have a lot of human aspects about me." She claimed.

"Huh." I sounded surprised.

This is a perfect time to ask the question that has nagged me all day. Why am I here? What did I do to deserve this? The second Jane said I don't meet the qualifications. My brain has been coming up with so many ideas, but none that has made sense. I want to ask, but since this is such a serious question, I don't want to do it without a purpose. Plus, do I even want to know the answer? Again, what if the reason is something that'll reveal something that I don't know about myself?

Fuck, I need to know!

"Hey, Slenda." I spoke.

"Yes, Y/n?" She acknowledged.

I sighed and bowed my head.

"Why am I here?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" She asked, looking down at me again.