Chapter 5

This forest is actually very calming to explore. With a seeming lack of predators, yet a great bit of scenery, and the sound of birds chirping off in the distance, I couldn't help but feel a sense of calm and peacefulness like no other.

Slenda gave me permission to leave the mansion and go explore whenever I wanted. Just to make sure I alert her that I'm going out, and it's before the sun starts to set. She also confirmed that this place, in basic terms, is haunted. It was part of the reason she wanted me home before the sun sets. She told me a list of things to avoid if I saw them.

Such as, but not limited to, a creepy cabin in the woods. And that's it. That is the only thing she told me to avoid. Does that mean I'm going to? Eh. I'll see how I feel.

In other words, if I'm not completely terrified and my body locks up if I get closer, then I'll prob lay explore it.

The greens of the seemingly almost infinite forest are gorgeous. Especially the trees that were starting to be taken over by the golden yellows and oranges of the fast-approaching fall. Off in the distance, I could hear the sound of a waterfall or a fast-flowing river. And I'm trying to find it. I'm not afraid of getting lost because Slenda gave me a tracker-type thing to help me get back to the mansion.

As I made my way to the noise of the flowing water, I listened to the noises around me. Not because I'm afraid of something jumping out at me. Instead, I'm doing it because of the chirping and singing birds that fly above me. I've noticed so many different breeds that I didn't even know lived in this part of the world. I've also seen the extraordinary sight of a group of deer. Four adults and three younger ones. They were so cute and pretty, and I just wanted to hug them. I stood still and watched them for what seemed like hours, though I knew it wasn't. They knew I was there but didn't run away or even make an attempt to escape. They must be used to the sight of humans by now. Slenda did warn me NEVER to hurt an animal unless it's self-defense because she likes to see animals on the lawn in the morning, and she doesn't need a wanna-be anime character to ruin that for her.

Okay, she obviously didn't say that last part. I just wanted to be self-roasted peanuts for a moment.

The sound of the water was clearly very close. And unless the water is flowing dummy fast, it's a waterfall.

I pushed through the brush and was dumbfounded by the sight. I let out a "wow" of amazement and began to take steps forward. The sight is like one from a fantasy movie.

There was a waterfall running down a high, almost plummeting rocky hill that turned into a calm, slow-flowing river that ended in a pond. Surrounding that river was a sandy beach-like bank. The sand was almost as white as snow, reflecting the sunlight. The water itself was crystal blue colored. The cleanest water I have seen in my life. There seemed to be a fading rainbow by the waterfall. On the other side of the river, the forest continued like normal.

I began to roam towards the water. This has to be the most gorgeous sight I could think of. I continually studied the area. Trying to see if there were things I missed.

Once at the water, I looked down into it. I could see my reflection. My white hair slightly swaying in the breeze. The subtle wave of the water distorts the reflection a small bit.

I looked back at the waterfall. The rocky area around it had a slight green tint to it in some areas because of the vines and other erosion-causing things. To my surprise, though, it looked as if I could easily climb to the top because of a bundle of thick vines that traveled down the side of the 90° angle drop. A possible experiment for another day.

God, this place is so cool.

"Whimsical, isn't it?" I heard many voices echo around inside my head. Following the voice was the worse chill down my spine. I could feel many eyes locked onto me from behind.