Chapter 1 // Off To A Great Start

"God what a pain..."

Today I start attending a new school. In all honesty I find the whole process of transfering so tedious... having to get used to a new route, new building, new people, the stupid student introduction, and of course there's that whole awkwardness of being a new person.

I let out a sigh and tried to straighten out the persistent wrinkle on my uniform shirt in hope's to make myself somewhat presentable.

I give myself one final run over in the dirty mirror. Same as always. My pale adorned with my trademark frown, that is both disappointed and completely indifferent to everything. My "new" uniform, that really was just a hand me down from a graduate, looks large and baggy on my skinny frame and yet my ever stretching limbs make it look as though it were a size too small.

All in all, not too bad.

I give myself two thumbs up and a toothy smile, my eyes still holding the same unamused expression.

"Let's get this over with"

-------------

"Everyone, I'd like your attention please! We have a transfer student in our class starting today and I'd like you to make her feel welcomed. Please miss, l/n, introduce yourself"

Here we go again. I take a strand of my hair between my fingertips and fiddle with the ends of it. "The name's y/n l/n. I look forward being in this class or whatever..." I stand silent, waiting for the teacher to move on to the seat assignment, but something that he said didn't sit with me right.

"...Oh and I didn't transfer. I was expelled"

"..."

The classroom falls into silent shock. Countless whispers and murmurs echo and rumble throughout the room, the sound I could closest compare to that of an agitated wasp's nest. I probably should've expected this reaction but I honestly didn't care all that much. I massage the back of my neck and lazily turn my head to the teacher, whose face had contorted in sheer horror at my sudden confession.

"I...Er ..uh... y/n you can go sit down in the chair over there..." No more words needed. I walked to the near back of the classroom, cursing it wasn't a seat next to the window... just one over. But it didn't matter because I zoned out of the lesson all the same. The nonstop buzzing was annoying though...

----------------------

I walk around the lawn of the school campus, figured I'd get at least somewhat familiar with the area. Though it's more of an excuse to get away from the headache inducing school life.

"Come on, eat it!" I hear laughter in the distance "I can't believe he actually did it! Gross!" When I look to the direction the sound came from, I notice a group of people circling around a smaller frame. Before I knew it, my legs had started moving, picking up speed with the increase of the laughter's volume.

"Learn your place, jerk!" The laughter has escalated to the likeness of screeching crows. My eyes were fixed on the face of one of the bullies who was crouching infront of the beaten up boy.

*BAM* My foot makes contact. Right on target. The man topples to the floor with a loud grunt. All laughter stops. "W-what the hell?!" I stand up straight, making sure the cowering boy was safe behind me. "You know... ganging up on someone like that, it's pretty pathetic, don't you think?"

I burn my gaze into the group in front of me. I couldn't help the adrenaline rushing through my veins, the excitement evident on my face at the thought of a possible fight.

All thought suddenly leaves me, my instinct tells me to grab the nearest guy I could reach and toss him over. "What the hell are you doing, bitch?!" The others finally snap before running straight at me. One swings from the left, I dodge to the right. The other kicks, I jump to the side, I duck, kick the guy in the face, dodge, punch, twist his arm, kick and dodge, and slam, dodge again, I kick and grind a face against the gravel, I kick and punch, and break, and crack, and-

..........No one's standing anymore.

I take a moment to catch my breath. Reaching up to wipe the sweat dripping down the side of my face, I accidentally graze the corner of my curved grinning mouth.

"...This... This is insane!" A girl screeched and turned to run away from the scene. I recognized her voice. She too was one of the people laughing. I swiftly take a pebble at my feet and throw it, hitting the running girl in the back of her head with pristine accuracy. "Kyaah!"

A hearty laugh bubbles out from deep inside my gut. The tables have turned quite drastically. There's nothing quite like it... Though I might've overkilled it

"Er..."

Oh, right... I turn around to see the guy still sitting on the ground, the same as when I came. Now that it was just the two of us, the only two conscious at least, I take a moment to actually take a look at him. I immediately notice the emo-like haircut that completely covered his right eye. I wasn't aware people still got those... He was head to toe covered in bruises, god knows what else those assholes did to him. There was something else though that momentary caught me off guard...

"You look like shit" was all I said. He took a moment to process my words. His face, which at first seemed intimidated, eased and he slowly looked up to meet my eyes. "Yeah... Thank you"

I offer him my hand "Don't sweat it, those guys had it coming". He hesitates but takes my hand firmly. "Can you walk?" I ask, supporting his shoulder "Yeah, I think so" The boy looks over himself as though not sure himself.

"Good, though you should probably check in with the nurse anyway. Or at least get those assholes some help" I turn around and start walking.

"W-wait! Tell me... how did you do all of that?" I pause and turn to him again, this time the boy looked somewhat flustered. My dead cold stare softens and I give him a small but genuine smile "Years of being a professional troublemaker right here. These guys are all bark and no bite, barely had any kind of fighting ability". The emo boy looks at me starry eyed and whispers "That's amazing!"

"Ha! It sure is!... You better take care of yourself. I'm gonna go home and take a nap. See ya around, emo boy" I haphazardly raise my hand as farewell to which in response he awkwardly waves me back.

"...But school isn't over yet"

------------
AN:
Hey, thank you for reading through the first chapter<3
This is my very first serious story, so I put a lot of work into it, hope you're enjoying it so far. And I'm sorry if it's a bit of a mess.

Junpei is among my favourite characters in Jjk and I felt really sad with how short his story was. Now I have a Junpei shaped hole in my heart💔