Chapter 4 // Jujutsu Sorcery

AN: thank you for over 100 reads :3 Also, I'm not sure if the curse technique in this chapter is a thing in the Jjk series or if it could even be a thing, but just roll with it :D

-------------------

I found this journal a long time ago, I think right around my elementary school years. It was in a dumpster of all places.

Who could've thought that I had landed my hands on a book about jujutsu sorcery?

And it's not like I don't know what all that magic shit is. Mari gave me a pretty basic summary of curses and the people who fight them, after I had exposed her as a lunatic for writing stuff about how she was attending a magic school... and in the process I unintentionally exposed myself for reading through her diary.

Any other person would think that their sibling was just taking the piss out of them. I mean, magic and invisible demons lurking in the shadows waiting to take your thought juice? That's just crazy! And I am crazy enough to believe it.

Mainly because I can see those curses. It's pretty hard to miss them, not with the area we live in. There are probably as many curses as there are people living in this apartment complex. I remember the times I would find one creeping on the kitchen floor in the night. I would always get so scared because my thoughts immediately would jump to 'Oh shit it's a burglar!'.

Thankfully things like that don't happen anymore.

I flip through the pages, searching for a certain symbol... There. A protection curse. It's simple enough but I might as well go over it one more time, maybe then I'll have it memorised.

I hold up my wrist so it rests parallel to the symbol on the page. Stealing glances at the spell I stretch out a single finger and ponder my course of action.

I think I've got it. With a careful breath heat forms in the pit of my stomach, it slowly bubbles up and rises up my torso and to my shoulder. My veins burn as the fire creeps down my arm, the sensation getting warmer and warmer the closer it got to my finger. Light red flames flicker from my fingertip, where the heat was most concentrated.

Here goes nothing. I glance at the pattern one last time before placing the smoldering tip of my long digit against my skin.

"Tss-" My flesh burned, the flames flickered and crackled at the sudden contact. I pushed back the feeling and moved my finger downward.

Steady... steady...

I can feel my wrist shaking, sweat dripping down my face, I could see the deep scarred line tinted red following right behind my finger.

"And... done" I release my twitching skin and let out a breath of relief. I look between my work of art and the image in the book. "Pretty close this time"

The heat in my arm vanished but I could still feel the tingling numbness where my brand new 'tattoo' rested.

I'm feeling pretty good with myself with how accurate to the original it was. The author of this notebook heavily emphasized the importance of getting the symbols just right. It says that the closer they are to the displayed images, the stronger the effects of the curse.

"Huff... let's move on to the next" I stand up and flip a few pages till I find a more advanced, area protection curse. Unlike the first one, which was a single symbol spell, this one consisted of five complex marks that seamlessly weaved into a vertical pattern.

I rub the back of my head and walk to my windowsill, studying the more intricate details of the markings.

*scratch* *scratch*