Chapter 5 // Confronting The Enigma

"Wow you weren't kidding earlier, you got here in like fifteen minutes!" Junpei held open the door, his eyes were wide and his jaw slacked. "Do you live nearby?"

"No... no, I don't" I huff and puff trying to catch my breath while also attempting to maintain a steady composure.

"Then how did you...?" He trails off, questioning the logistics of my impossible act "Are you just going to gawk at me all night or will you let me in?" I raise a brow.

I could tell he was really flustered and disoriented: his cheeks were a light shade of pink, he was stiff and his eyes were jumping from place to place. My little remark didn't seem to help in that matter either as Junpei practically combusted into a stuttering mess "Oh! I- uh... ye- yeah, sure, come on in!" Junpei quickly jumped to the side to make way for me.

I took a good look around his home. It was spacious and warm, and... clean. I let out a low whistle. "Your house looks amazing, man! It's nothing like my tiny apartment." After locking the door Junpei walked up to stand beside me. He stared at the same view I was gazing at, not really getting what was so amazing about it. "I guess...? It's nothing special"

Junpei was awfully quiet, at least more so than usual. I peek a glance at him from the corner of my eye. He had his face turned away from me, but that didn't stop me from noticing his red ears. Was he nervous? I guess he isn't used to having friends over. I smile to myself, knowing exactly what will draw this shy man out of his shell.

"So what movie did you pick out?"

A hundred points for y/n! His eyes immediately lit up like shining stars, and the most adorable puppy smile spread through his features.

"Well...!" He practically jumped to the living room table and enthusiastically raised a DVD. Even from this distance I could tell what it was. I've seen this cover countless times, there's no way I could mistake it for anything else! "...since you like action I figured we could watch Thunder Gun"

"You know me so well! I'm touched..." I hold up a hand to my heart. "Psh- hahaha yeah right! That's pretty much all you talked about. Pretty hard to forget!"

I giggle and playfully hit his arm "Shut it, smartass," I skip over to the couch and make myself comfortable, tapping my feetsies in anticipation "now come on and pop it in! It's Thunder Gun time, baby!"

"Um..."

Hearing his hesitation I whip my head around to see his face. It was back to the same shy and embarrassed expression. I pout. And here I thought he had loosened up a bit...

"Just say what you need to say!" Junpei jolted "A- actually, let's watch it in my room!" He suddenly blurted out. The guy felt even more embarrassed by his words that he wound himself up into a stuttering frenzy "Er- uh, it's not because- I mean- I... My room is the only one that has a DVD player, so..."

Ah, so that's how it is. I want to make a witty joke at his sudden proposal, but I bite my tongue. Making the poor guy even more embarrassed would spoil the evening.

I just stood up and smiled kindly at him "Cool, your room it is then. Lead the way~" Junpei gulped and nodded carefully "Right... come this way"

I followed right behind him, looking around his house a bit more. It really was a pretty place

"Oh my! Y/n, what are you doing here?" I snap my head to the voice of Ms. Yoshino. She looked pretty surprised to see me here "Hello, Ms. Yoshino, hope I'm not being a bother"

She stared at the two of us for a good minute, to the point where it started to feel really awkward "Um... mo-" "Ohhhh! I get it! So that's why you were running around so much, cleaning your room, Junpei, haha!" His mom winked playfully at her son, but then she looked at me suspiciously "...And, y/n, aren't you grounded?"