Chapter 8 // Back In School

It's kinda crazy to think almost an entire week had passed since I transferred and yet it's only the second time I've come to class.

But here I am.

I stand still at the school gate, gazing at the large building, a sense of empty calmness takes over me. As I take a deep breath I make my way forward, my movements slow, careful and calm. I walk and my body drags every time I take a step with my right leg.

It still hurts after yesterday, I guess even dad's magic gauge isn't enough to cure my stab booboo. But oh well, I can only blame myself for being so careless...

I hoped that at least my limp to the classroom would be peaceful, but I could tell something was off.

Wherever I went, chatter and laughter would suddenly stop as wide cold eyes from bodies stiff as statues burned deep into my silhouette. One or two whispers would catch my ear, their voices low and mocking, but as much as I tried to make sense of the sound I could not understand the words... I take one step closer, they take two steps back...

I knew that my return would be met with gossip but I never would've guessed it'd be of such magnitude! It was never like anything like this in any of the other schools I went to. They stare at me like a wolf in a herd of sheep.

I mumble a curse under my breath as I drag myself to my classroom.

I slide open the door and immediately all the owls simultaneous turn their heads to stare at me.

While trying to maintain a straight face I slowly walk over to my seat. I notice a body slumped over the desk. As I come closer I recognize the all too familiar mop of black emo hair. He seemed to be vigorously scrubbing at the table.

"Yo"

"Ah!" Junpei jolted when my hand touched his shoulder "Y-y/n, you're h-here!" He exclaimed.

"Still live and kicking. What're you doing at my desk?"

"Uh-" he straightened out his spine and leaned back onto the desk with his hands, as though he were trying to hide the table from me. His eyes were as wide as saucers and I could see cold sweat rolling down his forehead.

With a gentle grip on his shoulder I pushed him out of my way, an action which he didn't resist. His frightened look soon shifted to one of worry as I took a good look at my desk.

"LEAVE!"
"BITCH"
"KILL YOURSELF"

And that's just the highlights. There were more graphic words and drawings done in black marker. All in different handwritings. I notice a spot with text that was partially scrubbed off. I could still tell what was written there, but I nonetheless mentally thank Junpei for looking out for me.

"Why'd you erase it?" I smirk.

"W-what?" Junpei stuttered as though he didn't hear me.

I slide the backpack off my shoulder and dig around its contents to pull out my own marker. Hopefully it still works.

"You know, censorship is really disrespectful to the artist" And with my half dry marker I finished the word:

"MONSTER"

Satisfied with my work I moved to sit down in my seat.

"Are you sure it's ok to leave it like this?" The boy rubbed the back of his neck.

"Don't worry! If I'm gonna be the superstar here then I might as well have a worthy throne. Who knows, maybe someday they'll even make an exhibit of it to show where the great y/n 'the monster' l/n spent her school days"