Chapter 6 // The Mystery

Panting heavily I layed in my bed.

I got home around half an hour after midnight and right on time to boot. A tired giggle came up my throat as I recalled walking up the stairway and seeing dad pull up. I've never booked it so hard before! Nearly twisted my ankle running up to our apartment.

"Y/n, you sleepin?" I heard a light knock on my door. "No" I had my eyes closed, but I could still hear the sound of my door opening.

*Toss* "Umph-!" I open my eyes to see dad had thrown ice cream at my stomach "Thanks? It's almost 1am"

"Never too late for desert, kiddo" the man huffed, walking away. "I won't deny that!"

I tear apart the wrapper and lick my lips before taking a generous bite of the cone. It was a mistake I should've seen coming, because upon putting the ice cream in my mouth I cringed immediately, and not because of the cold, but the disgusting feeling of raisins.

"Umph nouh! *HURL* daaaaahdh whagh!" I try my best not to gag, but in all honesty it's pretty god damn difficult. I panic and spit out the ice cream into the palm of my hand "blerg...! Oh my god why would you do that to me?!"

Booming laughter echoed all the way from the next room over "Taste the sweet cream of justice! That's what you get for being a troublesome rat!"

I look down at my disgusting, sticky, raisin covered hand. Great, now I'll have to go clean this up. If this shit keeps up for the next two days, then it's gonna be a long ass suspension.

--------------

I plop onto my bed for what I hope to be the last time tonight.

It has been such a tiresome day. From practicing jujutsu spells to running around the sewers trying to outrun my dad. It has been exhausting and I can definitely feel it. My entire body feels so heavy, I can barely even muster the will to scratch my cold nose.

However, even with the exhaustion, my eyes stayed open. I couldn't stop my thoughts from drifting to Junpei.

There's no way I could've expected the night to get so real. Poor guy... he's had it rough. He must've felt so lonely having to endure all of it by himself. And to think people just sat back and watched it all play out! But things will get different... I'll make sure this ends for good.

I'll stand above those bullies and take care of them... I will overpower them... and protect everyone... protect... Junpei...

"..."

Junpei...?

I feel like I'm forgetting some- ohmygodohmygodohmygod!

I launch myself off the bed, nearly face planting on the floor as I grab my phone. I was supposed to let him know I got home safe! Gah!

I pause for a moment, just staring at his contact ID. It didn't sit right with me. I quickly changed his name before sending him a message:

Y/n:
"Hey! I almost dozed
off when I remembered I
had to text ya :D I'm fine
and with all my organs
intact. Ttyl cuz I'm literally
about to pass out. Gn"

Junpei:
"You had me worried
there for a sec... I'm glad
you're ok. Goodnight :)"

Y/n:
"^_^"

I drop the phone on my chest, completely forgetting to recharge it, and I fall dead asleep almost immediately.

-----------