Chapter 7 // The Tiger

Hmmm... this will do.

I dress myself in some of the finest garments I just so happen to own: ripped light blue jeans and a white tank top. But of course that's just y/n's wardrobe 101.

The real prize ornament I own is this emerald green varsity jacket. High quality cotton carefully and precisely sown together, its back embroidered with the fierce grin of a tiger. It's definitely nothing I could possibly afford, but it's something I won with my own strength.

I smooth out the jacket with my hand, being extra careful not to be too rough with it. A single huff escapes me as I check myself out in the stained mirror.

A feeling of pride gleams over me whenever I see that brilliant green, however, it falters for just a single moment in which doubt pangs at me.

Would he even like it...?

"...."

Ack whatever! It's a jacket I love. Shame on him if he doesn't find it cute or girly or... sigh

I smack myself on the cheeks. No time to mope around or I'll be late. I slip into my shoes and sneak out into the late evening.

-------------------

Dang I came way too early! I scrunch my face at my phone which reads 19:34. That's what anxiousness does to ya. Though I guess I'd rather wait by the movie theater than at home, I might've just chewed my arm off from anticipation...

I sigh and lean against the cold gray wall of the cinema, staring nowhere in particular, silently taking in the nightlife...

"Y/n? You're early"

I jolt off the wall at the sudden call of my name.

"Junpei?" I stare at the guy in awe. I didn't even notice when he got here! He snuck up on me like a... like a ninja!

"I'm early? It's not like you got here any later..."

"Yeah... I couldn't stand still at home, figured coming here would take some things off my mind. Sorry, that sounded really lame!" The boy chuckled.

"No, I felt the same way"

"You... you did?" The bashful teen raised his brows in surprise. A tiny smile grazed his lips which he tried to suppress.

I took a good look at Junpei's overall appearance. He definitely looked... fresher than usual. He still wore the usual baggy t shirt, but his hair was neatly brushed and I could sense a whiff of cologne coming from him.

I crossed my arms, easing back onto the same wall behind me. Awkward silence soon took over, neither of us really knew what to say at this point... We have about 20 minutes before the movie starts

"...That's a really cool jacket"

I raised my gaze to look at his face. A warm feeling filled my being as a cheshire grin spread across my face.

"You like it?" I bounced off the wall a second time as I did a proud and grand meander in a circle making sure he got an eyeful of the tiger emblem on the back.

"Yeah! It looks great! But at the same time it kind of has this scary aura"

"As it should! This jacket... is the symbol of the strongest fighter in all of Tokyo."

Junpei raised his eyes from the emerald green jacket to my eyes, admiration twinkled in his gaze.

"Really? So you entered some kind of boxing or martial arts contest?"

"Heh, even better: the underground street fighting tournament. It's the most brutal fighting tournament as of this day"

"...And you won?!"