Chapter 25

--
We ran to each other and our bodies fitted in a perfect hug as if we were destined to hold each other that way. I hold her so tightly that I thought I would break her in my arms like a porcelain doll. But she didn't show any signs that it was hurting her, on the contrary, she held me just as tight.

I wanted to stay like this forever but we broke the hug rather quickly reluctantly. Instead, she grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers just as naturally as the hug. She'll not let go and I wouldn't either.

From each side of us, our respective parents were standing. My parents almost seemed like they were gonna be sick after the chase and Lia's' parents were out of breath. The four girls were not far from us but stayed a bit in the distance. They seemed very happy to see Lia but also very concerned with the situation, which I could completely understand because I felt the exact same.

No one spoke for a good moment. Everyone was looking at one another. The tension was rising as well as my heartbeat. I squeezed Lia's hand not only to reassure her but also myself. In my head, I couldn't see how this could end well.

Surprisingly, besides me, Lia was the first to break the silence. It was a little more than a whisper and only addressed to me. I suspected that everyone must have heard however.

"Don't leave."

It was a plea. A heartbreaking one. It made me ashamed to have wanted to give up. How could I have had thought that? How could I have done this to her?

"I will not leave you any more." I promised.

"Yes, you damn will." my father screamed " I'll send you so far away that you will even forget other humans exist."

I didn't know why but the threats for the first time didn't reach me as they used too. I wasn't scared. I wasn't even caring about it. It felt void. It bounced back to the wall I had built only a few moments ago.

Lia squeezed my hand to catch my attention before whispering  "Will you be able to carry me on your back? "

"What?"

For an instant, I thought that she had lost her mind.

" I'll jump on your back and you'll carry me to Chaeryeong's car,"

I looked across the parking lot where Chaeryeong's car was indeed parked. Maybe she was right. Maybe her plan will work. Her chest caught fire in hope.

"Yeji, do you hear me?" my father took a few steps forward.

"I can do it." I whispered to Lia.

I locked eyes with Chaeryeong and mouthed " Your car,". The girl furrowed her eyebrows. I adverted my gaze to her car and back to her. Chaeryeong looked at it and seemed to understand what I wanted to say. She nodded once and took swiftly Yuna and Ningning's hands. Ryujin who was farther away, hands in her pockets seemed to have realized the exchanged yet couldn't understand it.

" Now!"  Lia screamed as my father was almost at reach of me. I started running before he understood what I was going for. However, he ran to grab me in rage. I felt his hand almost touching me but it was suddenly gone. Ryujin instead of running toward the car, had run to us and blocked our parents' way.

" You'll have to fight me!"  I heard her shout. I knew she would, without hesitation and that made my heart warmed up or maybe it was because I was struggling to carry Lia. I really needed to exercise.

Once we reached the car, Chaeryeong was already out of her spot and Ningning was holding the door opener us. I let Lia go in first and rushed inside. Chaeryeong drove like she was in a video game, drifting in a corner. By the window, I saw Ryujin run to the end of the parking lot-followed Farther away by our parents-where the car was also heading. When we got there, I only had time to open the door as Ryujin's lied of all her height on us. The car accelerated before I would close the door.

I didn't look back. What was the use of it? All I would see is the distorted faces of my furious parents. They wouldn't want to see me anymore and truth is, I didn't want either.

My fingers met Lia's and it was enough for me now.