It Had To Come Down To This

"Who made all of these things?"

"Nobody knows. Some say a race of giants once lived on this island."

"Giants?" Ragnar looked up, breaking his eye contact with the statue.

"Yes, but let's continue! The Sire is waiting for both of you."

~~~

Before Ragnar was called in, it was explained to me that I had to stay outside so that the two men could consult and of course Ragnar had disagreed, but I already knew what was to come. Visions don't lie. Ragnar had pointed out I wasn't any danger to the king and that he could take me with him, but I just shook my head in silence. I knew he was in an denying fase when I slowly saw that he understood what was happening. I always told him about my nightmares, until one day it wasn't an nightmare... it was faith what I saw. The future. My life. The curse. The door opened ahead of Ragnar and he stepped inside the hot chamber before coughing a little. This was the last time I would see him. The last time we would speak. The last time we would be together.

"Wait!" Ragnar shouted as the door behind him closed and with strength he almost pulled the door out of their hinges to get to see my face one more time. I broke free from the grip on my arm by the guard and embraced Ragnar tightly. He reacted fast and did the same, stroking my hair in the process. "Why does it have to come down to this?" He questioned, a little crack in his voice.

"I am cursed, Ragnar. You know that." I softly whispered in his ear, not trying to sob in his arms. "I don't know how I survived that snowstorm, but I was not supposed to."

"Njorun. Please, don't say that."

"You know it's true." I replied, feeling a tear run down my cheek and a wet spot formed on his shirt. I started to crumble beneath his touch as he stared me in the eyes. Those beautiful blue eyes reflecting Valhalla in them. The breath was knocked out of my lungs because of the force created when our lips collided and his hand palms were pressed against my cheeks, swiping away my tears with his thumbs. "I'm not allowed to say this out loud, but I have always loved you."

"I will always love you too, Njorun." He declared between the kisses and I lowered my head, not being able to handle my sadness as I buried my face into his chest. "Goodbye, my love." He whispered as he hugged me even closer before I was violently dragged away from Ragnar. Away from his laugh. Away from his voice. Away from his eyes. Away from my the only thing that was worth living for... even though the time I was granted was additional time. I was doomed, cursed, not to find love. There was no happiness in this life for me and my time was officially up. I was created by chaos and so I would return to the chaos. The world was slowed down around me as I was escorted across the stone floor of the castle and across the square by the guards who pushed me in the back with their spears.

Slowly, small pieces of my visions became one when the carriage was in my sight and I dropped to my knees with my back towards the carriage. Some kind of heavy chains were tied around my hands to keep them together and the other side was tied to the carriage. I closed my eyes and let the tears flow when the sign was given. It was odd to survey how many people had gathered for this, how many kids watched this, but I knew this was the best for me. I knew this was going to happen one day, but at this point I was not ready for it. I had forgotten this day because of the love I found, even though I wasn't born for it and I took in a deep breath as I heard the horses galloping behind me. This was my faith. 

I felt the sharp stones wear against my scarred body. I felt the pulls on my arms. I felt my bones crack. I felt every sort of pain as I was pulled over the rocks and soil of the england countryside, but I never shouted for aid. Not in a single moment did I think about screaming. Instead, I thought about the good times I had been able to experience.

Being saved by Rollo and Ragnar.

Learning the secret skills of archery.

Growing up with the opportunity to be free.

Being given extra time to live.

Meeting Rollo and Ragnar for a second time after so long and sticking by their sides.

I had been appreciative about those times with whole my heart and I would never regret my decisions. I opened my eyes and the pain stopped. A large golden door was located in the middle of a beautiful landscape and as I approached it peacefully, I could see an huge white wolf resting on the side. Valhalla. The legendary hall of the god Odin. It's was said that the warriors who fall in battle would be taken by Odin to join his host to fight in the final battle of Ragnarök and they hadn't lied. The bright light shone upon me as the door opened and I smiled, knowing I was free at last.

~~~

Thank you, dear readers, for reading this Fan Fiction. I'm so sorry it had to come to an end like this... but unfortunately I saw no other way. I tried my best to get this fic a proper story, but sadly there was no other possibility. Perhaps I will write another one which will be possible to be a Rollo x Oc or an Ragnar x Oc, but for now... I wanted to say that I  appreciate you all who were willing to read and put their time into this story! ♥️😔