Impatient Recovery

"I already got a hug from Ragnar."

"So...?" He raised his eyebrow before a smirk appeared onto his face.

"Give me one too." I saw him hesitate before he slowly sneaked his arms around me, pulling me gently closer to him.

"I'm glad you're back, Njorun."

"Me too."

~~~

Letting go of each other, I nibbled onto my lower lip as Rollo's lips curled into a smile. The way Rollo pushed his chest out and lifted his head was always a kind of attractive. Confidence and cockiness were both melted into him and were a part of him, making him different from his brother, Ragnar. Ragnar was more playful and childish, but don't mistake him for being dumb, everybody knew he was a very smart man. Both brothers were equally raised and were both equally important to me, though, both brothers were totally different from each other and that was what made them so unique in their own way.

"Who's this?" Rollo suddenly rose to his feet to watch the unknown man in front of us.

"This-.. this is the king's brother. What do you say? Shall we go visit the king?" I tried to get up, but failed stumbling onto Rollo who caught me just in time before I could fall to the ground.

"Don't stand so soon, I'm not done yet!"

"Sorry."

I chuckled before he helped me sit down again. On that moment, also Arne was back and had handed over the clothing he tried to pick together for me. Thanking him, he quickly picked up the pace to get away from me and as fast as he became visible to us, as fast was he gone as well. I don't really remember why he would be scared of me, maybe he had some hatred towards me, but I really couldn't understand why. With a questioning glare I looked back up at Rollo and Ragnar and they both bursted into laughter, shaking their heads to me as well.

"What?!"

"He never liked you."

In annoyance I rolled my eyes before Ragnar shielded me with another blanket so I could dress myself with the clothing Arne had hurriedly gave me. The shirt and trousers made of thin fabric suited me pretty well, except for the fur coat that was way too big for my shoulders. I was still bleeding on my chest and arms, but happily Rollo had managed to stop the bleeding everywhere else. As I was finally done with dressing up and calming the wounds, Ragnar began talking about his plan for the king of England.

~~~

They had left me behind in our camp, I was way to weak to even sit straight let alone fight with them, so for me it was a relieve to see the men arrive in this place again. I noticed I wasn't used to being this much harmed, even though I had a lot of scars, and was too impatient for my recovery, making it even harder for my wounds to heal. I was laying down onto a fallen tree trunk while watching Ragnar silently and calmly stare to the ground and Rollo playing a game with the rest of the men, laughing from the top of their lungs as Rollo won again and suddenly Floki had something to notice and tell.

"Well done, Rolf."

"What's wrong with you Floki?"

"Ohh. There's nothing wrong with me. I did not renounce the gods in front of everyone."

"It was a joke." Rollo tried to explain and honestly I didn't know what they both were arguing about. "I didn't believe it. I didn't even know what the old fool was saying."

"It doesn't matter. Surely, you've made them very angry."

"Don't be stupid." Rollo let his arms hang while he stood up, angrily making eye contact with Floki who was cutting a piece of wood.

"No, you are the stupid one to risk the wrath of the gods. How will you ever get Odin to forgive you now?" With rage Rollo walked Floki's way but Arne interrupted the whole situations.

"THEY'RE HERE!! COME AND SEE!!"

Clamoring was heard from the men and I really wanted to hear the whole story, only, I was also curious about why the men from our side were happy that the enemy was here. Slowly standing up with the help from Ragnar, I was brought to the archway from our setup camp. Patting Rollo on the shoulder we watched a big wooden carriage-like thing being abandoned before our eyes and four of our chosen scouts were send to examine it. Out of a sudden I felt like it wasn't right. I didn't know what kind of deal Ragnar had made, but I didn't like it.

With speed they ran up the green hill to check the wooden boxes that stood on it and immediately opened them, grunting and throwing the boxes all over the place. Empty. That was what they were. We were lied to behind our backs. The king clearly didn't care about his brother and wanted him dead or else he didn't do this stupid trick. Within second after the four men declared they were empty a whole army walked onto the green hill. A big crowd of men on horses, their highest rank with their flag, and some were walking. They were all heavily armed.

Without hesitation, Rollo started hitting his shield as a sign we were ready to attack and Ragnar silently awaited till they were close enough. Why? I couldn't think of a clear reason, but I trusted them both. "Floki, get Njorun inside!" Soon I felt a hand on my back and was supported by Floki who escorted me to the most far tent he could find, hiding me in there.

"Floki?"

"Yeah?"

"Before you go, please get a bow for me." With big eyes I sadly stared at Floki who felt bad for me and nodded, leaving the tent after.