I See Red

"But we had an agreement. Why not?"

"Why do you not want your brother beside you? Because you don't trust him enough. It is the same for me with Jarl Borg. I cannot bring myself to trust him completely. You must inform him of our decision." I had dug my nails into my flesh leaving half moon prints in my skin after hearing the betrayer talk and unconsciously I slammed my bleeding hands onto the table which made everybody look up to me before I took my leaving.

~~~

Roaming through the rain falling from the sky, I noticed that not a lot of people were visible in the streets and the once who did appear on my path weren't in such a good mood same as me at the moment. I didn't understand why I was so angry with the king, but I was and there was no way to calm me down so I, instead of focusing on my anger, tried to find a place to stay warm. It didn't take long before I found a tiny house where the gentle people let me sleep and warm up and I had quickly undressed myself to lay under the warm, fur sheets. The thoughts of what happened today had haunted my mind and I grew tired in a blink of an eye.

~~~

"Jarl Borg, thank you for waiting." Borg had been waiting at the opposite side of the building I had stormed to when I was mad and noticed Ragnar tried to get his attention from behind.

"So, when do we set sail?"

Borg seemed pretty hyped about the trip to England, but I knew he wouldn't be able to feel the same way after the news Ragnar had to tell him. It would hurt him in any trusting way and I didn't like the way we had to remove him from the raid, but it had to happen at the moment. Ragnar stared at the ground and sighed. "Forgive me, Jarl Borg, but we have decided not to seek your help." A long, hurtful silent followed and I bit my lip, curious and afraid of how he would react at Ragnar who was damaging honest.

"I thought we had an agreement."

"It is not my desire to break that agreement. Believe me, I wish it to remain intact." Borg hadn't even taken the time to say anything else and rushed away from the betrayers while I crossed my arms before my body to follow a group of working men towards the boats. It took a while, but eventually I was at the docks and positioned myself before the boat that I would enter into to follow the crazy Earl Ragnar and King Horik to England and far beyond. Hours we had waited on those boats. Days we had waited on those boats. Nothing had happened in the meantime except for the big storm Thor 'gifted' us and we had lost a lot of men because of it, which angered me.

Soaking wet and cold, I sat against Ragnar while we shared a fur blanket that, thanks to the gods, was still dry and I silently drifted off to sleep. Well, half asleep, I could still hear everyone, but I wasn't fully awake either. I was 'dreaming/thinking' about England where I had been ended up at after the snow storm and where I was imprisoned. Where they had rescued me, where Rollo had rescued me. I knew it was right across the sea, but I still seemed to believe we would never find it for a second time. Slowly, I opened my eyes at the sound of Ragnar moving from beside me and I curiously stared at Ragnar who seemed to be leaning onto the ropes. I knew he was drowning into his own ideas, he always was when he was staring into the sky ahead of us.

"We've been blown miles off course, who knows where we are?" Athelstan yelled at the exhausted men and I shook my head in disappointment.

"The gods know, Priest." Floki shortly followed into the conversation.

"What I want to know, where are all the ships?" Ragnar paused and I suddenly stopped thinking and looked around me in a rush. They were all gone.... all taken by the wild seas created by Thor's storm. "How many do you see?" Ragnar seemed to question me as I was the one with the sharp sight, probably because of my archery skills.

"Only four, some of the others may have been scattered by Thor's storm." I spoke up clearly and calm, but also secretly hurt by the fact that we had lost people of our own.

"Or they all might all have foundered."

"FATHER! Father! Come see!" One of the two sons of King Horik had shouted at his father and we all grew confused and exited at the same time. Especially when he grabbed his boy and pushed him back and fort with an delightful feeling.

"What did I tell you, boy? LAND! I TOLD MY SONS RAGNAR ALWAYS FINDS LAND!" Horik waved with his hands and spun around in joy.  Happy, I pushed myself up and rushed towards the other side of the boat to position myself next to Ragnar and Floki, spotting the big land between the foggy sky.

"Where do you suppose we are?"

"I build boats Ragnar, you're the navigator." In the corner of my eye as I listened to Floki, I could see Athelstan sigh and I somehow felt an weird feeling in my guts. Perhaps this wasn't the best place to strand.