Insomnia

A tear ran down my cheek as I pressed my lips together and pushed myself out of his personal space, climbing onto my horse, I kicked with my heels into my horses rib cage and off I went, away from the man who I had such a good bond with and I secretly loved while being forced to keep my distance from him because of his marriage with Siggy. Arriving back at my camp, silently crying, I acted like nothing was wrong with me and nodded at Ragnar to confirm the news Arne probably had given him when I was back at Jarl Borg's army. It was War.

~~~

Both warriors standing on opposite sides watched each other how a eagle would watch a mouse. With narrowed eyes and full attention for their prey. I was determined to kill every last one of them assholes, I loved chaos and the evilness war was build on, well, I thought I did until I surveyed Rollo walking to the front with Jarl Borg. My rage couldn't be hidden, but neither could my disappointment and my sadness. Swallowing away my worries and weaknesses, I again took on my positions and inhaled deeply.

"SHIELD-WALL!!" Ragnar screamed from the top off his lungs and the rest of our group followed as they positioned themselves into the shield-wall. The opposite side did the same and Ragnar once again yelled to lead us. "SPEARS!!"

A long silence followed, brothers staring into one another's eyes. "CHARGE!!" Running the same speed as the rest, I quickly and smoothly ran over the dusty floor. I hadn't healed, I didn't even come close to it, but I couldn't back away from this carnage because I wanted it from the beginning and I will fight for it to win even if it meant my death. Pushing a first man onto the ground out of the shield-wall I ripped open his stomach with my ax as he tried to stop me, screaming out loud... and there he was, Rollo, standing right ahead me, gaze meeting gaze, heartbeat matching heartbeat. Raising my ax, he outrun my swing and brought me to my knees.

He knew exactly where my deepest cuts were located on my body, he had saw them the day he had helped me from the Christians, but know it seemed like he was taken advantage of them to get me where he wanted me to be. "I told you to stay out of this!" He screamed at me before lifting up his ax and I rolled over to also bring him to the ground.

"Never!!" I hit him in his throat when he fell on his back, making it harder for him to breath and he took a hold of his throat while another person launched himself at Rollo, pushing me to the side when I tried to stand up again. It seemed like Rollo payed attention to the man who had attacked him after I did and I got away successfully, save behind the shield-wall with Ragnar and Horik. The moment I managed to regain my strength, I noticed it was Floki who had jumped in front of Rollo to help me flee. Floki was kicked to the ground and was lucky to be able to find a shield behind him to protect himself while Rollo swung his weapon at Floki's shield.

I wanted to help, but knew I had to stay behind with Ragnar to kill the men who were brave enough to attack us from the back. I could see someone got to Floki's rescue and together they attacked Rollo who's ax broke in half. The two of them pushed each other through the wall until suddenly Floki, Rollo and Jarl Borg ended up together. Running towards the Shield-wall to help him, I was pulled back and met Ragnar's gaze while surveying his hand that was around my wrist. "Don't!" Was the only word that was thrown my way before I could hear battlecries coming from the other side where Floki would be.

Not being able to hold my focus on the battle, but on Floki's life, relieve washed over me as I noticed that Torstein, Ragnar and Horik dragged Floki away from the moment while Arne took his role in the battle. "NJORUN, HELP FLOKI!!!" Ragnar yelled after me and I nodded as I was handed over the highly wounded Floki. Taking care of Floki as much as I could, I could spot a glimpse of someone in the air and when I turned myself around I placed my bloody hands before my mouth, not being able to believe it. My friend... Arne... screaming while coughing blood, a spear through his chest, lifted into the air by it.

Rollo, the murderer of my friend, threw him to the side and that was the moment Ragnar stepped in front of his brother, immediately the whole crowd became silent when Rollo wasn't able to kill his blood brother and hesitated in surrendering to him. Surrounded by us and Jarl Borg's warriors he fell to his knees before throwing his weapon on the ground, just like he did to Arne, my friend. He didn't even have the courage to look up at us as I marched towards the circle too, groaning in pain, the pain he gave me. Psychical and mental. He had hurt me every way possible. My guardian, now my torturer.