Chapter 2: CRUEL WORLD

When my mom was first told of Zoe's acceptance into our coven, she instructed me to keep an eye on Zoe, to make sure she got to Miss Robichaux's Academy. I used my powers to follow Zoe on her journey, looking into her future. I only looked an hour or so ahead, that way I wouldn't strain my abilities and could use them continuously for a long time. I saw her research the Salem witches on the train, and sometimes hold her head in her hands, trying to make sense of it all. When Zoe got to her destination, and I could see that she arrived safely, I prepared to release my mind from the future. However, I quickly saw that the other girls were going to play a prank on her, more like scare Zoe half to death, and say they were initiating her as an excuse. I got up and searched for my mom, It took a while, but I found her. I should have guessed she'd be in the greenhouse. I told her of what the girls were planning and we went to the kitchen.

They had the poor girl held down on the small kitchen table. Madison, Nan, and Queenie were all in long black robes and had different devilish masks on. The one directly over Zoe held up a knife, She said something about the dark father. By the voice I knew it was Madison. Before my mom and I could step in, Zoe let out a scream, and fire erupted out from the fireplace and candle behind where Zoe laid. The girls introduced themselves, and Zoe asked if that was all of us. My mom took this moment to step in, and introduced both of us. "Cordelia Foxx, Headmistress, this is my daughter-" she motioned to me "- Circe". I gave a small wave. My mom directed Madison, Nan, Queenie, and I to get the groceries from the van outside. The girls reluctantly left and I silently followed. Madison threw a hushed insult my way, flipping her blond hair over her shoulders, as we made our way outside, "Buzzkill.".

I assumed my mother went to give Zoe the tour. After we got done with our chore, we all met in the living room, for what my mom called midday gathering. My mom went down the usual introductions to our coven, explaining that we were a dying breed and the Supreme. One witch who embodied all of the special gifts. Zoe asked Cordelia if she was the Supreme, I wished silently to myself that she was; However reality is different from what I would like. Cordelia didn't mention that her mother, my grandmother was Supreme and a terrible one at that. All my mom said was that she was a normal witch. I guessed that you couldn't mention that the Supreme ran out on the coven. Mom also said that she was there to help control our powers, Queenie made a side comment "She actually means to suppress them.".

My mom put emphasis on the difference between suppression and control.

Madison got annoyed "She wants it to be like the 1600s.".

Cordelia wasn't going to give up. "Back then they knew how important it was to keep our existence a secret. Too many girls don't know to hide their powers. Like that girl, Misty Day, she wasn't much older than any of you. She had the gift of resurgence; Misty could reach into that place between life and death and draw a soul back from the precipice. Back to this side, back to life. To some this appeared to be the God touch power of resurrection, to others, necromancy."

Zoe asked what happened to Misty, I unfortunately knew the end of this story. My mom continued..

"The same thing that's happened to women like us throughout the centuries, she was burned alive."

Zoe's horrified face was obvious. I thought that she now knew what she had gotten into.

"We are under siege, ladies-", I could tell she was drawing the to a close, hoping they would understand. "- Our lives, our very existence, is always at risk. Know this, or face extinction."

With that my mom ended our gathering and everyone went their separate ways.