Chapter 19

"Chili powder!" Jaemin laughs with a bright smile, to which Jeno returns, "Who would've thought it?"

Since spending most of yesterday in the library, scanning books for any news on scale rot and its treatments, Jeno and Jaemin finally hit the jackpot. In the evening, they had checked out a book on herbal remedies and made their way back to Jeno's dorm. They thanked the heavens that Jisung wasn't in (come to think of it, Jeno hadn't seen the boy around in a while) as they both climbed onto Jeno's bed, the Salamander joining them as Jaemin produces a pretty flame for it to bathe in.

Jeno made a quick note in the back of his head to find Jisung after all of this and ask him where he's been sneaking off to and also as to why he's been borrowing all of Jeno's books on dragons. But again, that thought was pushed to the back of his mind to think back on later.

For the time being though, he just turned back to Jaemin, watching as the Slytherin focused on the book, an adorable frown on his face as he turned the pages to the section of interest to them.

After a few hours of nothing, they found something.

'...The symptoms of scale rot present as scales taking on a dull, flaky appearance and falling off in large amounts. If left untreated in salamanders, it could become severe enough that the tail would eventually detach from the body....'

Jaemin had looked to their scaly friend, happy that they were still in one piece, before drawing his attention back to the contents of the book.

'...The treatment for salamanders can be accomplished by repeatedly rubbing the affected area with chilli powder...'

Such a result was extremely favourable, especially as Jaemin didn't want to burden Donghyuck with a potion amongst his current problems at the moment, and this solution seemed relatively straightforward.

Now at the following morning, settled into the Great Hall for breakfast, they were huddled together at the Slytherin table, sides pressed against one another even though there was plenty of space around them.

"We can summon some from the kitchen tonight, perhaps?" Jaemin suggests, "And then we can get the little guy on his way."

As Jeno nodded along, he couldn't help the smile that stretched upon his face. He was so used to keeping this part of himself a secret, and so to share it with somebody felt like a breath of fresh air.

It also helped that the person he was sharing it with was the starry-eyed Slytherin, who had stolen his attention since their first year. With his then pink hair and loud laugh, Jeno had looked for him in every class and corridor- the habit still with him now.

Just as Jeno is about to agree to such a plan, their conversation is interrupted briefly as Renjun joins them at the Slytherin table, sliding in next to Jeno as he keeps his eyes on the door to the Great Hall.

"Pray do tell why you've chosen to grace us with your presence today?" Jaemin sings, Renjun tearing his eyes away from the hall entrance to roll them at the Slytherin before he fixes his eyes back where they were, nodding towards the open doors.

"Because there's about to be a show", He explains cryptically, "And I don't wanna miss it."

And almost upon command, the Great Hall falls eerily quiet for a moment, Jaemin looking to the entrance confused, until he sees Donghyuck stood there, looking out at the four long house tables, each populated heavily.

Yesterday, gossip had spiralled out of control when Donghyuck's relationship with Mark and also his dysfunctional family life had been uncovered, the latter only fuelling what rumours were already going around. Jaemin felt his heart grow heavy as his best friend grew visibly more anxious at the centre of everyone's attention. And so, standing up swiftly, Jaemin waves his hand over his head, the action gaining Donghyuck's attention, who smiles gratefully as he then wanders over to the Slytherin table, his eyes set on his friend.