Chapter 32

As Mark brings his fist up to the wooden door before him, he can't stop himself from shaking. He had no idea what to expect. Doyoung hadn't offered much of an explanation in the letter he had sent all but a couple hours ago. All it said was that Mark was to come to this address and that he'll take care of the rest.

He was hoping that on the other side of this door were answers, better yet, his boyfriend.

Yet before he could accumulate a list of questions, the door swings open, and Mark finds himself staring at an old friend.

"Jaehyun?"

Jung Jaehyun. A former Gryffindor and Captain of the Quidditch team- that title being passed down to Yukhei upon Jaehyun's graduation.

They hadn't been close friends but often appeared in the Common Room at the same time due to certain scheduling, and over the years, Mark had found him to be very kind and rather funny. Jaehyun was one of those students who knew everyone- pupils and professors alike, and no one had a bad word to say about him.

"Mark", He greets back, a small smile making its way onto his face as he takes in the younger boy, "It's good to see you again, circumstance aside."

With the evening air holding a bite, Jaehyun opens the door wider, gesturing for Mark to come in and warm himself up.

Mark didn't know what he was expecting once he walked in, but he allowed himself just to relax as he took in his surroundings. The house was small, and there wasn't much furniture or decoration- just the basics. Mark remembers when Donghyuck had told him a couple of months ago that Doyoung had been really stressed with the process of getting this house. It took a lot of time, money and energy and with both him and Jaehyun still relatively new to the workforce, it was a work in progress.

But they didn't need fancy lights or mountains of cushions- this home with the odd splash of paint and the picture frames that hung on the walls felt homely. It felt lived in, and Mark felt something shift in his chest at the thought of Donghyuck having somewhere so warm to live in.

When he looks back to Jaehyun, he notices Doyoung coming out of another room, his shoulders heavy and eyelids drooping, but the most prominent injury is his limp. Jaehyun moves to his side immediately, offering what support he can.

When Doyoung finally looks up and notices Mark, he offers him a tired smile, "He's just through there", he says, pointing to the room that he just came out of, "He wanted to stay up to see you."

And immediately, Mark knew who Doyoung was referring to.

But Mark lingers for a moment, wondering what to say- should he just thank Doyoung or should he offer his apologies for everything the man had been through? However, sensing Mark's inner conflict, Doyoung just smiles again in his direction, gesturing for Mark to go on through the house.

At the invitation, Mark didn't waste another moment.

He bowed his head in thanks to the other two men in the room before making his way across the hall to the previously opened door. As he inhales, Mark pushes the door open gently, peering inside. He pauses for a moment, not wishing to startle Donghyuck, but also because part of him is nervous about seeing his boyfriend again, about making sure that he was alright.

But as soon as Mark's eyes landed on Donghyuck, his heart squeezed with affection.

On the sofa, Donghyuck has his knees pulled up to his chin as he rubs at his eyes, his back leaning against the furniture he's sat on. When Mark opens the door, just enough to allow him the room to slide in, Donghyuck's sleepy eyes snap up, the caution evident on his face fading as he takes in Mark.