Chapter 23

"Rough day?" Jaemin laughs quietly, his eyes trained on the back of Jeno's head as the Hufflepuff's forehead is resting upon their desk, his eyes drooping shut.

Once in a blue moon, their Care of Magical Creatures class is taught inside one of the classrooms in the castle instead of having them out doing fieldwork- and usually, these lessons are rather dull, just a note-taking excuse of an hour, but seeing how tired Jeno was, Jaemin was glad that they weren't being made to trek through the Forbidden Forest.

"M' tired", He mumbles before taking a deep breath and straightening his back, casting a look to their professor who has his nose inside a book and then to Jaemin, smiling in reassurance that nothing was wrong, "Last night was... long, really fun, but I don't know how we lost track of time like that."

As Jeno runs a hand down his face, stifling a yawn as Jaemin appreciates how soft his seatmate looks.

Their gathering had started at eleven and drew to an end at around four in the morning. They had a host of questions that they still wanted to ask one another, but they were aware that they all had classes the next day and should at least attempt to get some sleep.

"When I got back to the dorms, my creatures were restless as well", Jeno whispers lowly, "Our salamander was jumping onto every surface, running under every bed- their scales are healing nicely..." He informs, his voice going that much softer for his next utterings, "it might be time to release them."

And Jaemin knew that eventually they would have to, it was only right... and yet, he felt something regretful settle in his stomach.

Over the past few weeks, he had gotten used to looking after the creature. It held a special place in Jaemin's heart. He had also gotten used to being around Jeno so much- in his dorm, in the library, even sitting next to each other in the Great Hall, and honestly, Jaemin just wanted everything to stay exactly the way that it is. He didn't want anything to change... But deep down, he knew that this was the best thing for their salamander. He knew that they had done all that they could for it and that they had to set it free.

"We should do it when the grounds are empty- or at least, emptier than usual", Jaemin strategizes, nodding to himself as he tries to pinpoint the desired time.

It takes Jeno a minute more and an adorable nose scrunch before he looks over at the Slytherin, "We could do it whilst everyone is at dinner?"

To which Jaemin nods in agreement.

"After this class, I'll probably just go and check on the salamander, just before our last class", Jeno whispers back, his eyes darting from his textbook to the professor and back to Jaemin, who smiles softly.

"Want some company?"

And when Jeno gives him a sweet smile before leaning in closer to look at the textbook on their desk, Jaemin thinks that maybe, just maybe, everything will be okay.

When the class finally draws to a close, with even Jeno, the class know-it-all only having completed a handful of notes, the students quickly filter out of the classroom, trickling down the corridor and begrudgingly onto their final class of the day.

Trying to be as subtle and yet as quick as they can, as the two break away from the cloaked masses and detour towards where Hufflepuff Common Room is located.

Jaemin knows he'll probably be late for Charms, but he hopes Donghyuck can cover for him till he gets there because as he's lightly jogging beside his crush, both making their way to the magical creatures they've been harbouring in secret, Jaemin can't hide the bright grin that sits upon his face.

However, when they finally get to the Hufflepuff Common Room and venture to Jeno's dorm room, that smile quickly falls.

~~~