Chapter 30

Chenle tried to put as much distance between him and the others as he could- which wasn't that much considering they were high up in the stands on the Quidditch pitch, the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor game in full swing. Even with how much Chenle loved Quidditch and flying- he looked so out of place, so anxious.

The evening air had a bite to it as it nipped at Mark's fingers, his hands firmly rooted into the pockets of his jumper. He glanced over at Chenle to see the bottom half of the boy's face hidden behind his own high-necked jumper, but Mark guesses that that was more so because of what had happened an hour prior.

No one blamed him for writing his letters. They understood what was on the line, that he had to think of his family, but Chenle still felt a deep sense of responsibility. He felt disgusted and weak by his betrayal to Donghyuck, someone who had looked out for him, had cared for him... and no matter what his friends said, extending their understanding and sympathy towards him, it didn't ease any of the guilt that was eating him up.

Despite immersing himself in the Wizarding World for the past seven years, it really hit Mark that night how much he still didn't understand of his world. He knew of Donghyuck's family. He had heard all the stories, but only now, when he saw their influence in person, were his eyes opened to how casual this influence was, how easy it was for them to do something like this.

He shuddered to think about the Lees capability beyond mere school drama.

Mark hadn't known Chenle for long but with how withdrawn the Slytherin had been since his confession prior, Mark wanted to comfort him. They didn't blame him for his actions, and Mark wanted him to know that, to believe it.

He scooted closer to the younger, a soft smile on his face, but before any words could follow, there's a loud roar, Gryffindor flags taking to the air as an announcement crackles through the arena.

"AND TEAM CAPTAIN WONG SAVES THE QUAFFLE AGAIN!"

"Show off..." Renjun grumbles. However, Mark doesn't even need to look at the boy to know there's a smile on his face as Yukhei holds the ball up in the sky, drowning in the choruses of praise he receives from the spectators.

"HUFFLEPUFF SEEKER GISELLE HAS EYES ON THE SNITCH- BUT, OH, GRYFFINDOR'S SEEKER JUNKYU IS FOLLOWING HER CLOSE!"

Mark looks up into the sky, red and golden robes fluttering in and out of one another. He spots some of his housemates flying under Yukhei's instruction, the chasers Yeji and Hyunsuk trying to hold off Hufflepuff's own chaser Felix.

Mark hears Renjun inhale sharply when Felix throws the ball, but Yukhei catches it with ease.

Donghyuck had talked about the fact that Renjun didn't have any interest in the sport. Mark had seen it himself when he and Donghyuck had spoken in the hallway at the start of the year and the Ravenclaw just rolled his eyes at the prospect of spectating, but here he was.

Yukhei then passes the Quaffle back out to Yeji who shoots off, signalling the other chasers to follow her as she makes her way towards the other set of hoops.

"AND AS YEJI APPROACHES THE HOOPS, THE FIGHT FOR THE SITCH CONTINUES!"

Up in the clouds, two figures cloaked in shadow dance around one another, clearly pursuing the golden-winged ball. Donghyuck had given Mark a snitch that he had caught once, back when they first started dating, and when Slytherin had shown it to him, Mark marvelled at its beauty.

It took great skill to catch the Golden Snitch and Mark could remember a proud sense of warmth envelope his body as he watched Donghyuck grin down at the thing.

After Chenle had told them about the letters, Jaemin's first thought was to storm the Lee's mansion, to somehow find a way out of Hogwarts and travel to Donghyuck themselves- either through the Floo network or a portkey. Mark wanted to agree and set off right away, but Jeno remained the voice of reason since neither Mark nor Jaemin had a clear head.