11 • Texts

Chapter Song: Unusual You by Britney Spears

I woke up the next morning to my phone vibrating under my pillow. I slid it out, thinking it was my alarm, but—no. It was a text.

Spencer: I woke up thinking about your dimples.

I smiled despite myself. Some dirty scoundrel he was shaping up to be. I shoved my phone underneath my pillow and grabbed the script stashed beside the bed.

Spencer could sweat out my reply for a while longer.

"Leona," I said. Shaking her shoulder. "You awake?"

"No."

I gave her another shake. "Will you read with me real quick before I get ready? Please? Just a couple of times?"

Leona groaned but sat up and pushed the hair out of her face. "You owe me for this shit."

"Add it to my tab. At this rate, I'll be in debt to you forever."

I shoved the script in Leona's lap and waited for her to blink the sleep from her eyes.

"The feather duster's name is Babette?" Leona asked as she read through the scene I had marked, giggling along. "Wow, this play sounds hotter than the cartoon."

"Speaking of hotter," I commented. "Before we read through the script, can we please talk about you and Graham?"

Leona gave me a sly grin. "A lady never kisses and tells."

"Then it's a good thing you're not a lady."

"We had fun," Leona said casually. "That's all I'm gonna say."

I gave her a knowing look. "Fun? A carnival is fun."

"No, a carnival is creepy. And yes, Graham was a whole lot of fun."

"Did you two, you know?" I jabbed her in the ribs. "Do it?"

Leona shook her head.

"Really, why not?"

Leona shrugged. "I kinda like him. So, I figured I'd make him wait for it. It's this new strategy I'm trying out. We'll see what happens."

"Leona, look at you!" I exclaimed. More than a little surprised. "Trying to get all booed up."

"Don't you dare put that on me, Stella Rose LaFever! There isn't a man alive who could tame this—"