10 • Surprises

Chapter Song: Use Somebody by Kings of Leon

Newport's delicate skyline was beautiful.

Lights dotted Bowen's and Bannisters Wharf. People were walking hand in hand through the streets. A syncopated jazz tune floated from a nearby piano bar.

And then there was the ocean. The night sky and twinkling stars had turned the steely blue water into a glittering sheen of cobalt.

"You see that white and blue-hulled yacht tied up over there?" Spencer pointed to a huge boat nestled alongside a wooden dock.

"The really big one?"

It was his turn to laugh. "Yes, the really big one. That's the Fredericksen family yacht, Nordic Storm. My dad's baby."

My mouth fell open. It was as big as a condo. "Wow. Are you the one who drives it?"

Spencer shook his head, a smile crinkling his green eyes. "No, a yacht that big requires a licensed captain. We have a whole crew that comes out with us when we get underway. No, I much prefer to drive my pearl white Aston Martin."

I wandered away from him, settling against a concrete half wall. My grandpa's words thundering in my ears. There was so much money floating around Newport—old money.

I wondered which yacht the Tenney's owned.

Before I knew what I was doing, West's name was on my lips again.

"So, how do you know West?"

Spencer sidled up beside me, his shoulder pressing into mine, staring out into the night.

"We're old school friends. I've known West since kindergarten. Even when his dad got stationed in another state, Mrs. Tenney and the kids always stayed in Newport."

"Oh," was all I managed to say.

"West goes back to the Naval Academy in August, you know. Then after graduation, he'll go to Charleston. And from there, who knows? He's bound to be on a submarine, just like his old man. Living life below the waterline."

I couldn't imagine West's warm personality contained inside a metal tube. He'd never be able to dance down there. But maybe that's what he wanted. Maybe the dancing was just part of his game.

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because I know West, and I know his family."

An awkward silence persisted.

"You're into him, aren't you?"

My gaze snapped to Spencer, who had his arms crossed. Studying my reaction. "Into who?" I asked.

There was a beat of silence. "West."

I shook my head and turned away, unable to meet Spencer's eye.

"I hardly know him. And besides, he's in the Navy—or is going to be in the Navy—and I don't do uniforms."