33 • Admissions

Chapter Song: Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift

At rehearsal, West and I had become Lumière and Babette. Inseparable. Sharing snacks and laughs in between dancing and singing.

West was such an amazing actor—funny and bold. And his voice when he sang Be Our Guest always brought tears to my eyes.

Even though I had promised to tell Spencer about West's part in the play, I could never find the right time.

Because as fast as West and I were becoming Lumière and Babette, Spencer and I were becoming something more. Growing closer together with each passing day. And last night, on the Fourth of July, I came about as close as I'd ever been to believing in true happiness. Laying wrapped in each other's arms, watching fireworks on the ocean.

Nordic Storm had pulled into its harbor slip at dawn just so I could race off to rehearsal while Spencer and his family enjoyed a leisurely breakfast and finished packing for our chartered flight to New York.

Now, it was the last rehearsal before Easton's wedding, and the cast had decided to throw an impromptu dance party on stage to celebrate the long weekend.

West found me by my purse, sending Spencer a reply to one of his dirty texts.

"The Cha-Cha. Round two. Me and you."

"You want me to dance the Cha-Cha with you?"

"I do." West raked a hand through his thick, jet black hair. "But I promise to not go off script this time. We'll keep it clean."

West was grinning when Sway flooded the auditorium. I took his hand, and his fingers curled around mine. I let him walk me to the stage, where the cast was already dancing away.

The syncopated beat brought us together and pulled us apart, our hands and bodies moving in time. Unlike our dance at Castle Hill, neither one of us was wearing uniforms, and we were comfortable enough with each other to let go and surrender to the rhythm.

West kept his promise to keep it clean, but that didn't stop him from being lawless, catching my calf when I lifted my leg in the air and holding it as we spun in a circle.

"Damn, Joon! You got some moves!" Blanca called before cutting in. We swapped partners, and I danced with Kendrick—who played Beast. He was all fun and flirty moves, but his lead was nothing like West's.

Twice more, we swapped partners, but by the end, I was back with West. Laughing as he spun me in a tight circle before guiding me into a dip so low my hair fanned out across the stage.

There was raucous applause as people trickled off the stage.

We said goodbye to the cast, watching everyone leave. For whatever reason, West and I lingered behind.

"Are you going to Easton's bachelor party tonight?" I asked.

"Absolutely! I'm catching a flight out of Providence at five. We're going to his favorite gay bar, and I'm gonna rock that joint."

"I bet you will," I said in a teasing voice. "If you end up singing Spice Girls karaoke, please make sure there's a video."

"Fine, but only because you asked."

His almond eyes met mine. Syrupy and dark and oh so sweet. I quickly looked away.

"What do you say, Stella? One last dance?"

I looked at the clock. I needed to get back to Snug Harbor so that I could finish packing and say goodbye to Leona and my grandparents.

"I don't know, West."

"Would it help if I said please?"

He offered me his hand, and I found myself reaching out for him.

West didn't find a fast Cha-Cha beat. He placed my hands on his shoulders before setting his hands on my hips. We swayed back and forth like two kids at a middle school dance.

"I can't wait," West simply said.

His intoxicating smile was as good as any boozy popsicle, and it made my head swim.

"You can't wait for what?"

The music swelled, and West looked at me through thick, dark lashes. I laced my fingers behind his neck, and West held me a little closer.

"I can't wait for opening night. I can't wait to be on stage with you. With a real audience. It's going to be...magic."

Opening night.

Spencer and his parents in box seats.

Watching as West and I shared Lumière and Babette's scenes.

All of a sudden, I stopped moving.

"I'm sorry, but I have to break my promise to you. I'm going to tell Spencer you're in the show," I said through a flutter of nervousness. "I mean—I should have told him already."

West fixed his syrupy brown eyes on me. "What's holding you back, Stella?"

What had I been waiting for? The perfect moment? The perfect opening in conversation?

"I don't know."

West rolled his bottom lip. "Do you want me to tell him?"

"No," I snapped. My chest uncomfortably tight. "I'll do it."

"Well, you should do it before the wedding."

"Why?" I asked.

West's answering smile could have lit the entire stage. Bright and bold. "Because right after the reception, I'm telling my parents that I'm not going back to the Naval Academy. I'm done. I don't care if they disown me or cut me off. I'm moving to New York, and I'm gonna audition for small parts. Wait tables to pay the bills. I already found a little apartment in the city."

I couldn't help it. I was smiling. Grinning from ear to ear. He wasn't going back to the Naval Academy?

"Seriously?"

"Dead serious. I'm gonna chase down that dream. And it's all because of you."

His arms caged around me, crushing me to his chest. Holding me like I'd always wanted him to.

"West, that's amazing," I breathed into him. He smelled woody and warm. The familiar scent of his cologne all around me. "I'm so proud of you."

West rested his cheek against my head. Quietly holding me. I had the feeling I should pull away, but I couldn't.

"You should come with me."