26 • Calls

Chapter Song: Hurt Somebody by Dierks Bentley

Have I mentioned just how much I hate sailing?

The only thing I like about being on the water is that I'm alone. It's quiet. It's just me and my thoughts.

The Sailing Regatta was at the end of July, and once I'd won, I'd finally earn some respect from my father.

The second I came through the front door, my mother screamed for me from the kitchen.

"Ha Joon! Get in here!"

I cringed. I loved my mom, but when she used my Korean name, I knew I was in trouble.

She was sitting at the kitchen island, papers spread everywhere. I knew she was stressed out from micromanaging Easton and Luis' wedding. She'd fired two wedding planners during the last year and was working on number three.

But that's what Tenney's did. We stressed out about everything. If things weren't perfect, dad would freak. Speaking of my father, I looked around the kitchen but didn't see him. He was usually back from the cigar bar and ensuing Saturday night poker game by now.

"I got a call from Chantal Fredericksen this morning demanding a plus one for Spencer. Who is this girl? I thought Spencer didn't date. I thought he fucks around. I don't want some gold digger at Easton's wedding."

"Ma," I groaned. "Please don't say fucks around. It weirds me out."

She narrowed her eyes. "Don't act cute with me. You boys know all about fucking around. I want to know who she is."

"Can I get a name?"

My mom put on her reading glasses and brought one of the papers closer to her face. "Some girl named Stella LaFever."

I stared back at her. Unblinking.

"Well, do you know her?"

I swallowed down the sick feeling rising in my gut. "Did you say, Stella?"

"Yes! What's the matter with you? Answer my question."

I gritted my teeth. "No. I don't know her."

My mom let out an irritated breath. "Call Spencer and make sure she isn't some girl he met on one of those hook-up websites."

I stormed out of the kitchen, phone in hand.

"I mean it, Ha Joon! No hussies!"

That word. It did things to me. Why was my family so intent on shaming this girl?

Marching up the stairs towards my room, I was already dialing Spencer. Not because my mom asked me, but because I needed to know if it was true.

I'd told Spencer not to treat Stella like one of his summer hoes. But, it would be a new low for him to bring a girl to my brother's wedding for the sole purpose of getting laid.