31 • Floats

Chapter Song: Cool for the Summer by Demi Lovato

Leona and Graham left the bar shortly after West and Spencer, and I'd told her I'd take the truck back home after I sobered up.

Wyatt and Marcus stayed behind to keep me company, but I got the sense they were more interested in hanging out with each other.

"Why don't the three of us sweat out these drinks on the dance floor?" Marcus asked. "I saw your ass moving out there, Stella. You got moves."

Wyatt's gaze shifted from me to Marcus. I'd know that look anywhere. It was the sad, slightly buzzed daze of someone falling in love.

I grabbed both their hands and marched out on the dance floor.

I knew how this game was played. I started dancing between them, acting bolder than I usually would. Hands down chests and around waists. After a song, I took Wyatt's hand in mine and set it on Marcus' chest, and then I moved out of the way. 

Slowly, the two came closer together. I saw that wild, carefree passion roll across Marcus' face as his hand landed on Wyatt's waist. I had to hold back a smile when they started dancing closer. Easy at first, then hungry. Hands on necks and hips.

I said goodbye, but I doubt they heard me. It was almost two in the morning when I finally climbed in Leona's truck and made the short drive back to Middletown.

When I parked in front of our camper, I noticed a glow from my grandparent's front window, like someone had left the television on. Curious, I decided to creep inside and make sure everything was okay.

"Grandpa," I whispered, pushing open the front door.

He peered over his shoulder, a tired smile forming on his face. "Come on in," he whispered.

I slunk inside and took a seat next to him. Grandpa was watching an old movie on Turner Classics I immediately recognized, called Bye, Bye Birdie, with a bowl of popcorn on his lap.

"Can't sleep?" I asked. Taking a handful of popcorn.

Grandpa nodded. "I didn't want to toss and turn and wake up your grandma." We were quiet for a moment, listening to the show. "How was your night?"

"Fine," I lied. Not meeting his eye. I noticed an old leather photo album was sitting on top of the ottoman, so I snatched it up.

I flipped open the front cover and saw pictures of my grandparents when they were no older than me. High waisted bottoms and tight shirts. I couldn't help the unavoidable grin stretched across my face.

"Your grandma and I were quite the pair," he said with a chuckle. "She was the most beautiful girl I'd ever met. Her laugh. And her smile. Oh lord, I was smitten after our first date."