8. Back in Time

A child lay shivering on the hard cold floor of the hut. He seemed to be about four or five years old, maybe even younger. Yet the way he wailed and moaned was filled with pain and grief that no child should ever have to witness. 

From an adjoining room, Xie Lian heard a man shouting," Someone shut the fucking monster up."  the words were spoken in a drunken slur. Xie Lian clenched his fist, a frown appearing around the creases of his eyebrow. "That fucking slut hasn't returned yet, I swear if she doesn't return I will kill her brat."

  That must be San Lang's father,  Xie Lian thought. He waited till the man exited the hut, probably in search of his wife or maybe liquor, and took the liberty to sneak into the room. The child's wails had quietened now but his body quivered with every quiet sob.

Xie Lian quietly stepped into the dimly lit room. " Hello, child ", he said. His tone was friendly and warm, quite unlike what the child had ever heard before. The child looked up at him, his hair matted and tossed, a dirty bandage wrapped loosely around his face that failed to hide the gleaming red eye. He made to get up, somewhat wary of the stranger before him but his weak constitution did not allow him to go very far before he tripped over his thin legs. Xie Lian was able to catch him before he fell. 

"Shh", Xie Lian soothed him, " I am not going to hurt you. "

The child didn't struggle anymore- either because he trusted Xie Lian or because he didn't have the energy to. Xie Lian held him closer, arms gently rocking the small body, so skinny that he could feel the bones sticking out. His heart wrenched. 

"What's your name?" Xie Lian asked, smiling at the child. 

 Xie Lian already knew the answer, however, the child didn't reply. He was still shivering. After all, it was a cold evening. Carefully putting the child on the floor, he shrugged off his outer robe and wrapped it around him before picking him up again and sitting on the porch. The moon shone upon them, uncaring and unforgiving. The small child in his arms shifted closer, seeking his warmth and comfort. Black handprints were imprinted into his white robes. Clearly, he had never been held so lovingly before. The realization made Xie Lian's blood boil.

" Hong". His voice was barely audible but Xie Lian heard it loud and clear.

"Hong", Xie Lian repeated. He looked at Hong and placed a soft kiss on his forehead.

 He didn't know who the stranger was, he didn't know why he was holding him. What Hong knew was that he loved it, he liked the warmth and comfort, he liked being held so close, to be smiled at like he was someone who actually mattered and not just a monster. He didn't know he was crying until the man in white used his thumbs to wipe away the tears, humming a gentle tune. His stomach growled but he wasn't embarrassed. The man in white chuckled and let him down on the floor once again.

Xie Lian took out a fresh mantou from the pockets of his sleeve and handed it Hong er, His San Lang. Hong didn't hesitate to take it from his hand and gobbled it wolfishly. 

" Don't eat too fast", Xie Lian gently rubbed his back. Having finished the food handed to him, Hong stared at Xie Lian again. His eyes were desperate and searching for affection. Xie Lian's heart ached when he remembered that the child would be disappointed.

He bent over and placed a gentle kiss on his head. " Hong,  don't listen to these people who try to humiliate you and trample over you. ", Xie Lian started, although he knew San Lang wouldn't remember a thing after he was gone. Hong listened quietly. 

" You are not the monster, the world is. But they are too afraid to admit it. You are a brave, strong person but everyone has their moments of weaknesses. No matter what happens, I know that you will survive. And you will find someone who makes you happy, there will be someone who is happy because of you."

 Xie Lian knew he didn't have much time left, so he kneeled before Hong and grasping his little dusty hands in his own, and said," Remember that you are loved" before his outline turned into a shimmering blue light and slowly faded out into the night. The robe wrapped around Hong faded away too, just like all the memories of this precious encounter. All that he was left with was a feeling of hope and happiness.

Hua Cheng had already begun to pace around the shrine when Xie Lian finally came back. They had found a device that allowed a person to go back in time, to meet their soulmate and Xie Lian had wanted to use it. It could be used only once and Hua Cheng had agreed to Xie Lian's request, though somewhat reluctant.

After coming back Xie Lian was a little dizzy at first and staggered until Hua Cheng grabbed his waist, steadying him up.

"Gege, wh-"

Xie Lian placed a slender finger to his lips, signaling him to be quiet. He then replaced the finger with his own lips, drowning in the softness and wetness of the lips upon his own. Cupping Hua Cheng's face in his own, he did nothing but stare into his lover's eyes for what seemed like an eternity. Hua Cheng returned the look, eyes filled with devotion and love strong enough to make Xie Lian's knees go weak.

However, Hua cheng was dying of curiosity and ended up breaking the silence." Gege what did you see?"

Xie Lian motioned for him to sit down on the mattress and he himself joined him. 

"You were about five years old, and crying in a room." Hua Cheng stiffened beside him, his expression turning unreadable. Turning towards him, Xie Lian pulled Hua Cheng towards him, straddling him in his lap. 

"Your Highness, It's just...I didn't want you to see me in such a...disgusting and vulnerable state"  He tucked his face in the crooks of Xie Lian's neck. 

"San Lang wasn't disgusting at all," he said while running his fingers through his lover's hair."It's just that, no one should have to go through what you experienced."He caressed Hua Cheng's face with one hand, " My love, I'm so sorry that you had to experience so much pain"

" My pain is nothing compared to what His Highness went through", Hua cheng replied, " I was just a filthy brat back then. Gege shouldn't have to apologize to this lowly one, I'm lucky that he even considered me worthy of his love.

"What do you mean lowly!", Xie Lian exclaimed. " You are not a filthy brat, you never were. You are my equal in mind, body, and soul. You are worthy of my love and much more."

A choke out- "Yout Highness" was all he could manage.

Xie Lian's thumb traced over the eyepatch over his left eye. He made sure Hua Cheng wasn't uncomfortable before untying the knot and letting the eyepatch fall down. He ran his fingers through the scars and uneven skin trying not to think of how his San lang had to dig the eyeball out himself. He pressed small kisses over his eye, gentle and soft; making sure that he knew that every bit of him was loved. Hua Cheng hummed in contentment.

No other words were needed between them. The two lovers stayed there, locked in each other's embrace. Xie Lian giving him all the love he had and Hua Cheng bathing him with his own, while lying in the arms of the man he had loved for 800 long years. With every rise and fall of His Highness's chest, Hua Cheng felt his fears and insecurities beginning to dwindle. For him, time seemed to come to a stop and then keep on going in a direction he could not follow. For all he knew, he was a ten-year-old child again, being carried by his precious Dianxia.

A/N - hey! I finished my math homework so here is the chapter I felt I couldn't finish within a week. 

I wanted Hua Cheng to overcome his insecurities, ofc it can't happen all of a sudden but slowly I'm sure he will come to realize that Is worth it. So here is a bit of Hua Cheng self-love for our broken souls.

<3