6

As much as you wanted to force yourself to think that Megumi was just a friend, it didn't work. It's evident that you were in denial from the start— you didn't want to believe it. What's the point in liking somebody that won't ever like you back? Or if they find out that you do like them, will it cost you your entire friendship? You didn't want to lose him as a friend, so keeping your feelings to yourself was the best option. It was crucial of you to act as normal as possible.

It was almost the last day of class of the term, and although you looked forward to having a well-deserved break, you still felt sadness in your heart. Junpei and Yuuji aren't majoring in psychology, so it's highly probable that the four of you won't have a class together in the future. Every morning, you would eagerly anticipate being with the three of them for class because of how fun it always was. It wasn't until a week before class ended where they noticed that you weren't as cheerful as every other day. Staring at the ground, you were mindlessly sipping at a juice box from the vending machine while your friends were conversing about how holidays were near. Yuuji was the first to be aware of your quietness and elbowed Megumi. Megumi's mind wasn't present at that moment so Yuuji's sudden nudge brought him back to reality. Yuuji nodded his head in your direction, with concern in his eyes. Megumi immediately picked up at what he meant, but he was unsure of what to do.

As much as he wanted to ask you what was wrong, he didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable, especially after what happened at your house. He thought he was such an idiot for getting close to your face like that, just the thought of it made him want to punch himself in the face. Even asking if you're okay made him think that you'd feel uneasy afterward, but maybe he'll risk it and just ask.

"(y/n), what's got you spaced out for," Yuuji beat Megumi to it, "does your stomach hurt?"

Out of habit, you began biting your straw when you heard Yuuji's voice. You looked up and saw that they were all staring at you, waiting for you to answer. You realized that you haven't been as engaged in their conversations as any other day, and smiled at them. "Oh, I'm sorry! I was thinking about our grade for the paper."

"Considering that we finished it quickly, I'm surprised that we got an A on it," Junpei said before drinking his coffee. Junpei had already noticed that you were more quiet than usual, but he thought that moving on from that would make you take your mind off of whatever you were thinking about.

Yuuji was thinking the same thing as Junpei and decided to change the subject altogether. "So, are you guys ready for the party or what?!"

"Wait Yuuji, what's the party even for anyway? You didn't really elaborate on that."

"I didn't? Oh my god, I thought I did," Yuuji wrapped his arm around Megumi's shoulder and continued, "it's mainly for Megumi's birthday, but we also planned it for Christmas and for Yuuta and Inumaki coming back!"

Your ears perked up at the fact that it's Megumi's birthday soon. Sure you were excited to meet more of their friends, but birthdays are so special. You'd do anything to make your friend's birthday memorable, so you were determined to help out in any way you can.

"Is there something that you need me to do for the party? I'm ready to help if you need me!"

"I'd like to help as well," Junpei added.

"Really? Um, then can you help me set up the decorations at my apartment? And Junpei, can you bring some snacks? Enough for about," Yuuji started counting on his fingers, "eight people?"

"Alrighty! You can count on me!"

"By the way, (y/n), has Nobara texted you yet?" Megumi asked, opening his coffee can.