9

After you had said yes to hanging out with him, he didn't even notice the smile that grew on his face until Yuuji pointed it out to him. Although that earned Yuuji another hit on the head, he can't deny the fact that he's excited about you saying yes to hanging out with him, especially on the next day— that's so soon. He has never looked forward to a day like this in a long time.

It wasn't a date, just a normal hang out with a friend, but that didn't stop Megumi from being nervous as hell. But even so, he had no clue on how you felt towards him— it's just that this has never happened to him before. He was always indifferent about the idea of dating because it never actually interested it, but why is he so different this time around?

Was it because you two grew close to each other in such a short period of time? Megumi's still so confused about why this is happening now, so after Yuuji left his house that night, he forced himself to confront his sister about what he was dealing with. She was cleaning up from dinner, so Megumi walked up next to her and began helping her wash the dishes.

"H-Hey, Tsumiki," he quietly said.

Tsumiki hummed in response, but when she turned to him, her eyebrow raised. "What's wrong? If you keep furrowing your eyebrows like that you'll get wrinkles!" She said, pointing at Megumi's forehead. He involuntarily brought his hand to his forehead to feel if he was actually doing what Tsumiki said he was doing. He attempted to relax his face before he could say anything.

He sighed, feeling a bit annoyed that he's actually going to ask her for advice. Megumi understands that siblings are there when you need them, but it's a little embarrassing for him to ask for help. Taking a deep breath, he asked, "Why do people like others?"

Tsumiki tilted her head, obviously confused about his question. "Do you mean in a platonic or romantic way?"

Megumi stayed quiet for a moment and turned away, "In a romantic way..." he mumbled.

His sister giggled at his action and held her hands together. "Do you need a reason to like someone? Sometimes it just happens and you can't explain why."

"I don't need a reason?"

"Yup! When it comes to things like this, if you listen to your mind instead of your heart, you might be keeping yourself from doing what you feel is right. Of course, listening to your mind is necessary for certain situations, but I know that you overthink everything, Megumi. If you already accepted what you feel, then don't try to justify it— your heart just feels that way towards the other person, and there's nothing wrong with that," Tsumiki ended with her hand on his arm.

Megumi kept what she said in his mind. He spent so much time trying to figure out why he ended up falling for you when he could have just accepted the fact that he does indeed like you— he doesn't need an explanation as to why.

After tomorrow, he's hoping that you two will stay friends if all things go wrong, which it probably will.

~~~

Getting any sort of sleep was inevitably impossible. Of course, you weren't going to rest after you agreed to hang out with Megumi, because today is the day where you'll finally know whether he was serious about what he said on the day of the party. He didn't directly say that you were going to receive any sort of closure about what happened, but you just had the feeling you were from your gut.

Countless possibilities went through your head, both good and bad. If Megumi did tell you the truth about his feelings, you ultimately decided to accept and reciprocate them, but you didn't decide to do that until sunrise. After all, a relationship was not on your mind at all from the moment you entered college. You wanted to focus on your studies and on making friends, but then you just had to start liking Megumi. But still, even if you decided to reciprocate his feelings, you were undeniably filled with doubt.