Chapter 11

Will stood at the end of the Black Pearl, tying one more body to the barrel. Cutting off the end of the rope, he gazed at the knife his father gave him. He thought over his course of action, but was interrupted by a presence sitting upon the bow of the ship.

"You escaped the brig even quicker than I expected." Jack said as he leaned back against the bow. Will held up his knife 'threateningly'. Jack then got up and started back down to Will. "William, do you notice anything? Rather... do you notice something that is not there to be noticed?"

"You haven't raised an alarm." Will stated, not lowering his arm.

"Odd, isn't it? Not as odd as this." Jack said, gesturing to the body that sat roped atop a barrel. "Come up with this all by your lonesome, did you?"

"I said to myself, 'think like Jack'." Will said mockingly.

"This is what you've arrived at? Lead Beckett to Shipwreck Cove so as to gain his trust... accomplish your own ends?" Jack questioned. "It's like you don't know me at all, mate." Will lowered his knife defeatedly as Jack continued. "And how does you dearly beloved feel about this plan?" When Will failed to answer, the pirate got all he needed. "Ah. You've not seen fit to trust her with it."

"I'm losing her, Jack." Will said as he hopped down from the bow. "Every step I make for my father is a step away from Elizabeth."

"Mate, if you chose to lock your heart away, you'll lose her for certain." Jack said, rather wisely. "But if I may offer an exceedingly simple solution... don't save your father."

"I have to." Will claimed, looking down. "I can't turn my back on him."

"Can't is a matter of fact. You can if you want, but you won't. That makes you the matter of choice. It's what life is, boyo. Choices. Out of all the things you can do, what will you do?" Jack stated. "Now, If I might lend a machete to your intellectual thicket... avoid the choice altogether. Change the facts. Let someone else dispatch Jones."

"Who?" Will asked, and Jack waited for his realization. "You?"

"Death has a curious way of reshuffling one's priorities." Jack stated, now coming to face Will. "I slip aboard the Dutchman, find the heart, stab the beating thing, your father goes free from his debt, you're free to be with your charming murderess."

"And you're willing to cut out your heart and bind yourself to the Dutchman... forever?"

"No, mate. I'm free forever. Free to sail the seas beyond the edges of the map. Free from death itself." Jack claimed.

"What about (Y/n), Jack?" Will asked, making Jack frown. "Only once every ten years can you see her. You're the first man she's fallen in love with, Jack. She's waited for you. You're willing to leave her ashore?"

Jack's frown hid his emotions well, but Will could see through it. He knew that the pirate was having an inner debate with himself over becoming immortal or staying with (Y/n). "She'll... she'll be there." Jack tried to reassure himself.

"She won't wait. I know her like I know my own mind. To have you ripped from her just like everyone else... she'll be devastated." Will confirmed. Jack's face fell, and Will could tell her hit a sensitive spot on him. Who knew, Jack Sparrow second guessing the sea or a woman.

"Don't doubt how I feel, mate. That much is certain." Jack growled, slightly defensively.

"You have to do the job, though, Jack." Will tried something else, although he knew this wouldn't have as much of an effect. "You have to ferry souls to the next world. Or end up just like Jones." He motioned the deformed half-man looked of Davy Jones, and Jack recoiled in disgust.

"I don't have the face for tentacles." Jack claimed. "But... immortal has to count for something..." he said halfheartedly. He then took his compass from his belt and gave it to Will, who looked at it in confusion.

"What's this for?" he asked.

"Think like me. It'll come to you." Jack said, and breathed his rummy breath in Will's face, making him tumble off the edge of the boat and into the water. Jack pushed the barrel off the edge for Will to hang on to. "My regards to Davy Jones!"

Jack walked back up to the main deck and into the Captain's quarters, grabbing a bottle of rum. Just as he went to pull the cork, the caught a glimpse of the lace around his wrist. (Y/n)'s lace. Jack threw the cork somewhere, knowing he wouldn't be needing it again. Sitting down at his desk, he rubbed his forehead gently, eyes closed. He took the lace from his wrist and looked at it, the once white fabric now dirtied.

Placing it back, the pirate thought over everything. Freedom was something he desired, something he treasured. But, (Y/n) was something else. Something more. The two sides of his conflicted heart made him hurt. He just got her back, as he did his freedom.

Jack Sparrow did not know what to do.

꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂꧁꧂

Elizabeth and (Y/n) stood together in the middle of Elizabeth's crew. They heard the sound of keys in a lock and turned to see none other than James Norrington opening their cell door. The crew stood, wary of his presence.

"Come with me." he said, but they did not move. "Quickly!" he urged, and Elizabeth nodded to her crew that they should follow the man.

"What are you doing?" (Y/n) asked him.

"Choosing a side." James said, looking her in the eyes. She saw that what he meant was true. Nodding, she made her way behind the crew, James following.

They snuck their way towards the stern of the boat where Sao Feng's former ship was being towed, the lines connecting the ships an easy escape. James ushered the pirates to their boat, looking to his side to see Elizabeth and (Y/n).

"Do not go to Shipwreck Cove. Beckett knows of the meeting of the Brethren. I fear there may be a traitor among them." James said.

"It's too late to earn my forgiveness." Elizabeth said, walking forward.

James gave her an honest face and said, "I had nothing to do with your father's death. But that does not absolve me of my other sins."

(Y/n) looked at the man, the pain in his eyes evident. "James, come with us."

James thought for a moment, looking between the girl he loved and the girl who treated him as a good man since day one. All thoughts were broken when Bootstrap's voice echoed above them.

"Who goes there?" he yelled, making James push the two behind him, his sword drawn.

"Elizabeth, go!" (Y/n) urged, and she hesitated for a moment before climbing on one of the ropes and reaching for her ship. (Y/n) needed to see Elizabeth safe before she could ensure her own.

"Go. I will follow." James said, but she knew him all too well. (Y/n) knew he did not intend to follow them.

"James Norrington, you're lying." she said, and he turned to look her in the eyes, his own hazel eyes staring back into her (e/c). "Please, don't do this."

"All my life, I've been told to follow my duty, not my heart..." he paused, scanning her face. "No longer." James leaned in and gave (Y/n) a light kiss, surprising her, but she allowed it, for this was a man who was desperate in what he knew was his final moments. "Go, now!" he told her, and she hesitated.

"You're a good man." (Y/n) whispered, a tear falling down her face. She climbed on the rope and began climbing her way over, when she looked back and saw Bootstrap Bill facing off James. The man gave her an extremely painful look, knowing what he had to do. "James! No!" (Y/n) cried, but it was too late, for he had already pulled his trigger on his pistol aimed at the rope connecting the ships, and she splashed into the sea.

The last (Y/n) saw of James Norrington was his figure falling against the railing of the Flying Dutchman, his chest impaled as Davy Jones himself approached him.

Elizabeth helped pull her onto the ship, seeing her sorrowful face. "(Y/n)..."

"James, he..." the girl croaked, and Elizabeth understood, tears forming in her eyes as well.

The two of them spent the night grieving the loss of a dear friend, and a good man.