10. One Four Three

Rhea was officially in a relationship

Rhea was officially in a relationship. She had the necklace to prove it. She never took it off. She wore it to bed, to school and even in the shower. She had to be discreet and always make sure it was hidden from her mom. She didn't know how to explain it. What would she say if her mother asked where it came from? Rhea had no idea. She would need a story, but she was feeling too happy to formulate one.

Every single memory of Adam brought a huge smile to her lips. She was so happy. There was no words to describe the euphoria she felt knowing someone liked her. Being an only child with a single parent had taught her not to expect too much. Now for the first time someone wanted to make her smile, someone thought about her, wondered how she was feeling, if she was happy, if she was sad, wanted to spend time with her, wanted to see her. She never knew that having a boyfriend could be this wonderful.

On their nightly calls she was more than eager to answer his questions and relate her entire day in detail. She always remembered to reciprocate and asked about his life too. She felt her feelings for Adam grow stronger and stronger as the days went by. She couldn't imagine herself with anyone else. He consumed her every thought and invaded her dreams.

Speaking of dreams, she started to have a recurring one. Of course it involved Adam. They were often alone somewhere and he was trying to kiss her. There were so many scenarios of this same dream and each time the kiss never happened. She would wake up, or the scene would change or something totally unrelated would start to happen. She supposed that her brain didn't know how to conjure the feeling of being kissed since it was something she never experienced in real life. There was always a huge lead up and then nothing!

Rhea was so annoyed over this. She couldn't even manage to get kissed in a dream, much less real life. Like how were they ever going to be alone together? There were so many things to consider, given the fact that both their families were so strict. There was no way they could date or spend time without dragging Liza along and make it a group effort. How was she supposed to get kissed with Liza there? So awkward!

Rhea sighed. She wished it could be different. She wished her mom would trust her enough to have a boyfriend, to trust that Rhea would make the right choice if she was faced with a difficult situation.

The phone rang shrilly and Rhea snatched it up before it could ring again. It was Adam of course. He was right on schedule.

"Hey," he said and she heard the smile in his voice.

She felt her heart fluttering wildly at the sound of his voice. She could listen to him talk forever. His voice was so soothing and it had a pleasant lilt. Words just flowed naturally and his voice never conveyed his anxiety. He'd admitted to being nervous several times when first meeting her, or speaking to her, but she could never tell. He was good at controlling his tone. Rhea on the other hand was a true nervous wreck. Her mouth would close up and she forgot her words.

"Hello," She said to him happily.

"I missed you," He immediately stated.

She smiled, "missed you too."