3. The Call

Oh God! My heart was racing

Oh God! My heart was racing. When I got inside, my mom was watching TV in the living room. I quickly yelled, "mom I'm back," and then rushed into my room and closed the door.

Standing with my back against the closed door, with one hand pressed against my chest and one pressed to my forehead, I took big deep gulps of air to calm my wildly beating heart. I cannot believe this just happened! Wow!

There was a stupid smile plastered on my face as I recalled the way he grinned at me. Did he like me too? I so badly wanted him to. I wasn't the type of girl who attracted guys like him. I was nerdy and not popular at all. I could already tell that he was the cool guy at his school, the person every girl wanted to be with. Could it be remotely possible that he was a tiny bit interested in me? Like just a little bit?

My teenage heart was feeling several emotions at the same time. Mostly shock, awe, joy and above all else, the faint stirrings of some deeper connection to him.

This was the very first time I've ever felt this way about anyone. Sure, I've crushed on many guys before. But that was nothing like this. From the moment I first saw him I felt something familiar, as if my heart recognize him. Like this is the moment I've been waiting for all my life. Like I was waiting for him.

With my back still against the door, I replayed every single detail of this afternoon after I first saw him. I rewound some parts in my mind several times and replayed them, over and over again.

I saw the way he walked with an easy gait, how he often ran his fingers through his beautiful hair, causing that one lone curly lock to fall carelessly onto his forehead, how he'd somehow ended up walking beside me and had tried to talk to me.

I sighed. Every cell in my body was happy right now. We were all floating on cloud nine.

At that moment the telephone in my room blared with a loud ring. Knowing that it was Liza, I grabbed the receiver before it could ring again.

"Hello"

"Hey, I'm back home," She said.

"Ok, thanks for letting me know."

"So, what did you think?" She asked causally.

"Think? About what?" I questioned.

"Adam," she paused. "What do you think about him?"

"Oh, umm...he's cute." I told her.

"That's it? Just cute?"

"Yeah," I told her and tried not to sound too excited.