six

disclaimer: this next chapter has some graphic scenes that may upset some readers, i've marked the beginning and end of these parts in bold.

"RUBY! RUBY WAKE UP!" I shouted, keeping my eyes trained on the fire, unable to move.

By now, Ruby practically stumbled out of bed with fear and alertness in her eyes. She looked towards me, but before I said anything she could already see the bright tint of orange covering my face along with fear.

"Ruby! Harley, get down here!" Her parents shouted from downstairs. I could hear the sound of the baby crying, except this time they were more like screams.

"Go out with Mommy, Susan. I'll be right out as soon as I get the girls." We heard Mr. Gillis say to one of Ruby's sisters.

Ruby was coughing already and I put an arm around her shoulder. In the distance, I could faintly hear a bell ringing and clamouring outside. "Just wait there girls! I'm coming!" Mr. Gillis shouted.

"Hurry!" I screamed back.

Ruby was skittish, glancing around the room, and runmaging through certain things. "My dresses! I can't—"

"Those can be replaced, Ruby! Your life can't." I shouted, pulling her back away from the door. The fire by now, had already engulfed all the rooms upstairs, ours was next. "Mr. Gillis!" I shrieked, but heard nothing.

Ruby ran towards the door frame, despite the flames creeping in. "DAD!"

I glanced around the room. Mr. Gillis was our lifeline, our once source of hope, but we had to assume that was gone. What else could help us?

My eyes caught it. The window. How had I not noticed it before? I ran over to it, and tried lifting it from the bottom, but it wouldn't budge. "Shit." I whispered breathelessly.

I pounded on the glass, again and again, with no luck. My hand made another hit with it, but instead of feeling the sturdy force, it pushed through, into the cold air that was outside. I could feel the tiny shards, making marks in my hand, but I couldn't focus on that. I had to make the hole bigger for us to get out of here. I had to see my family again.

I dragged my hand back towards me, and felt a sharp edge of clear glass, digging into my skin, and pulling on it as I went. A cry escaped my throat as I looked back at my once perfectly smooth arm, now covered deep red slashes.

I look back over to Ruby who was standing there frozen, the flames were inching up on her nightgown.

"Ruby move!" I yelled, but she stayed there almost in the hall.

She looked back at me with sorrowful eyes. "My dad's out there, Harley." She cried. "I'm sorry."

I searched her eyes with questions, but they were too clouded with tears. I was about to shout What? Before she sprinted off, into the flames.

"NO!" I screamed and ran towards where she was standing. "RUBY!!"

When I saw her, she was halfway down the stairs, looking as frantic as I've ever seen her. It looked as if she was doing some sort of dance to weave around the flames. Some were along her sleeves, and some in her hair.