nineteen

Jane Andrews and Charlie Sloane.

Hearing those words didn't hit me at first, then I came back to reality.

What?

There was more? Another girl and boy who weren't supposed to get eachother?

The class was silent and I bet all their eyes were on Charlie and Jane. But I was still in a daze.

If he called my name... I don't know how I would've taken it.

Suddenly, it made perfect sense. There was an even number of girls and boys in our class, so if there was one mix-up, there had to be another.

I wondered if Mr. Phillips already knew this.

I finally came back to my senses and saw Jane on the verge of tears, and Charlie with a hurt face.

I couldn't imagine the pain they were both going through right now. Utter disappointment and shame. All because they didn't report a mistake that wasn't even their fault.

Their families would be disappointed no doubt, because when you get suspended, it's another level of humiliation. Almost everyone in town knows. This is because kids tell their parents, parents gossip, and here, news travels fast.

Mr. Phillips waited a moment for both of them to stand next to Gilbert, and for everyone else to sit down.

"Now... you three will write: I will not disobey my teachers instructions, nor demands." He stated, but I could still see he was shaking from anger.

As I watched everyone else's face, they all were filled with shock, confusion, hurt, or all of them together.

My heart ached for Jane and Charlie. That could've easily been my partner and I, had we not been careful, or said more that made it obvious we weren't both the same gender.

As my eyes went from them writing on the chalkboard to Gilbert, something looked... awfully familiar. Like scary familiar.

It was the way his words were created off the chalk and the certain way he drew his T's that I...

No.

No.

There was no way.

His handwriting, the certain slant in his words.

Why I thought I knew it from somewhere.

I couldn't handle this.

Not right now.

Not right after that whole Jane and Charlie incident.

Not ever.

The truth was right in front of me. Right on that chalkboard, but I didn't want to face it.

It had to be someone else. It had to be another boy.

Another boy's handwriting so similar to his. What would be the coincidence of that?

There was no point trying to find another explanation.

That was the plain simple truth I wasn't ready to expect.

A cold sweat ran through my body, cheeks red in confusion, hurt, and realization. One single tear slid down my face and after a shuddery breath, I gulped.

Gilbert Blythe is my pen-pal.