seventeen

The service was beautiful. Almost all of the people in Avonlea showed up. My father wanted me to stay near him, but I stayed with Gilbert, holding his hand tight. I had to be there for him right now. I didn't care who noticed.

People passed by giving their condolences, but Gilbert didn't seem to care. His eyes never left his father's casket.

Once the service was over, we all headed towards the Blythe's house. Gilbert told me to leave him be, so I did, and trudged towards the house. On the way, Anne passed by and nodded a short "H'lo."

It felt strange being in there. Like I was looking back on an old memory of something that felt so far away. I stood in the kitchen Diana and I were in not so long ago. Father approached me, and I felt uneasy. I pulled my black thick coat tighter around me. "Where's Henri and mom?" I asked concerned.

"He was feeling unwell, so your mother took him home." He whispered back. "I might go aswell, It's awfully cold today."

"Father, you never leave the house for anything besides work." I paused and licked my lips. "If you're feeling perfectly well, you'll stand here and pay your respects to Gilbert!" I whispered harshly. Maybe I didn't mean for it to sound that rude, but it was true. Father was putting his own needs before others and acting only for his comfort.

He clenched his jaw. "You do not raise your voice at me, Harleen. We'll talk about this more at home. I don't want to make a scene." He said sternly, and started walking back in the direction of our house.

I huffed through my nose, and clenched my jaw tight. "I'm staying here."

"Excuse me?"

I nodded. "You heard me, I need to be here... for my friend."

He scoffed and glanced around the room, maybe to make sure no one else was listening. "Since you're such an adult, Harleen. Okay. You can walk back alone. In the cold and dark."

I moved a strand of hair from my face and kept my chin high. No way I could cave now. "Fine."

***

It had been maybe an hour since I last saw Gilbert and he was nowhere in sight. I know I shouldn't have, but I was getting worried.

People were slowly starting to leave, and still Gilbert wasn't in sight. Once the house was nearly empty, I decided it would be best to go too. I wouldn't want Henri or Mother to worry.

On my way, a thought crossed my mind. And I don't know what it was that made me turn right. Towards the lake, towards my safe spot.

Maybe I needed a moment to think, or maybe I just wanted to go for old times' sake. But when I reached the rock, someone familiar was already there. And I didn't have to question it, I already knew.

Once he heard the snow crunching from my shoes, he slowly turned his head.

"Mind if I sit?" I gave a meek smile.

A small smile fell on Gilbert's lips and he slightly shook his head. "Not at all."

I slouched onto the rock next to him and for a few moments we were silent. Just admiring the water on our own.

Finally Gilbert spoke with a sigh. "I'm tired of Avonlea."

My eyes shot in his direction and I could tell he could see the visible concern on my face. I let him continue.