fifteen

"Diana...?" Gilbert asked cautiously. I could feel his eyes on me, but mine were glued to the note.

To Mr. and Mrs. Barry...

Was all I had to read before recognizing it immediately.

Finally, I snapped out of my gaze and my eyes shot up towards Gilbert. "I— It's getting dark. Harley and I really should be going." I said quickly. I grabbed the note and shoved it deep in my coat pocket, clearing my throat.

Gilbert blinked and stood there. "Um... okay."

"Harley? Harley, we need to go." I stated, peeking my head in the room.

"Alright, just a second—"

"Harley. Right. Now." I said forcefully, enunciating every word.

When she looked up to see my tense expression, she closed the book, and gave Mr. Blythe a sympathetic look. "Thank you, Mr. Blythe."

He nodded and she left the room, looking at an awkward Gilbert.

"Thanks Harley." He muttered. It looked as if he was trying to force a smile.

There seemed to be some sort of awkward tension between the two. Like something happened I didn't know about.

She nodded too and held his gaze. Then, before I thought she was going to say something, she opened the front door to show a beautiful sunset. We took a few steps and she suddenly whirled around back towards Gilbert, who was standing under the threshold of his house.

"Great Expectations..." She stated, looking right at him. "I saw the Daisy, Gilbert."

He looked slightly confused for a second, but then a moment of realization hit him that I didn't understand. He slowly nodded with a faint smile on his face. "I'll be seeing you, Harley."

She nodded and turned on her heel, back towards the forest, with me right on her side. "That went..." she looked down to think of what to say, "surprisingly well."

I nodded quickly, but my eyes never left her. She glanced towards me, and I nervously smiled. "Diana, are you alright?"

"Yes." I said too quickly, but I knew I didn't convince her. She waited for more, and I knew I couldn't mask things well. "No... maybe. I don't know! I didn't want to get dragged into this!" I exclaimed frustratedly.

"What?"

"Harley, you know I'm not too good with secrets. I tell Anne nearly everything and now..." I confessed, putting my face in my hands.

We paused walked and Harley stood in front of me, putting both her hands on my shoulders. "I know Diana, and I'm sorry. The pen-pal thing was a lot already, and now you know Gilbert's father is ill— I just—" She paused and sighed. "I couldn't do this alone."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Gilbert's father? That's not what I'm upset about."

She scrunched her nose. "Oh."

"I'm upset because— because I can't tell you!" I shouted angrily. I hid my face away in my hands again, and felt Harley's questioning stare on me.

She waited a second before asking, "Why can't you tell me?"

"Because you don't want to know! You told me yourself!" It was true. Harley stated she wasn't ready to find out who her partner was, and if I hinted at it at all, she'd know it was Gilbert. Since we were just there anyways.

She opened her mouth to talk, but then closed it again. "What?"

I groaned frustratedly. "I'll— I'll tell you tomorrow, Harley."

I pulled away from her grasp and practically ran towards my home. "Diana wait!" I heard her shouts, but they faded away, and I was too far.

I felt locks of hair bounce off my shoulders and tiny twigs hit the sides of my arms and legs. Once I got to my house, I could finally breathe.

Harley was in love with Gilbert and she didn't know yet.

I didn't want to be the one to spoil it. I couldn't! It would ruin... everything.

Oh no. I thought. Gilbert doesnt love her back. At least not the girl he wrote to in those notes. He loved someone else,

but who?

I couldn't tell her. I just couldn't. It would be too heartbreaking.

***
HARLEY'S POV

You couldn't sleep? I signed to Henri. It was about midnight, and I was standing on the back porch with a mug in hand filled with cold milk.

He shrugged. A lot has been in my head.

Do you want to share it?

He shook his head slightly. You go first. What's happening with G-I-L-B-E-R-T?

My jaw dropped, my mug almost with it. G-I-L-B-E-R-T?

He sighed. I see when he looks at you, the way he cares about you. He smiled and made a kissy-face. The way he loves you.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. He is a good friend to me, but I don't love him.

Then who do you love?

I thought for a second, then I ruffled his hair. You are the only boy I need in my life.

He giggled and grabbed my hand, asking me to stop. Then why did I read a note under your bed? He said you love him.

I gasped, and looked at his smug smile. Henri! No going through my personal letters!

Henri shrugged. I was hiding under your bed from mom. I found the letter by A-C-C-I-D-E-N-T.

I was glad he spelled the word for me because if he didn't, I would've asked for the spelling anyways.

It's late, we should both sleep.

Henri coughed. He had about three blankets wrapped around him, I wouldn't let him come outside without them, but despite that, he still looked cold.

Goodnight, Harley. Henri signed before walking back inside.

I looked over the horizon. The snow was shining through the dark from the moonlight and it gave everything a faint tint of gray. I took one last sip of my milk before going back in too.

I laid in bed and thought about earlier. Why would Diana act that way? It was obvious she had a secret, and something about me too, but what?