nine

HARLEY'S POV

Henri ran a few steps away from me, examining the trees and leaves. Laughing as they blew in the wind. I promised myself then and there, I would never let this secret Josie had against me get out.

I would not ruin this chance for Henri.

And if that meant I couldn't talk to Gilbert Blythe anymore, so be it.

I heard the sound of leaves crumble next to me approach and I turned to see none other than, Gilbert smiling and coming closer. Great.

"Hey." He spoke, slightly out of breath and matched my pace. I kept my face forward and didn't look at him. He waited a few seconds before saying, "Harls?"

I shook my head and kept my gaze on Henri, who was walking forward swinging his basket with each stride.

"Is there something I did wrong?" He asked softly.

I could hear the hurt in his voice, and it pained me with each step to keep walking forward. I couldn't meet his eyes, his soft hazel eyes. I just couldn't.

"Harley, I'm sor—"

"Go home Gilbert." I stated and paused, waiting for him to turn around.

His body was facing towards mine, and I felt bad for not giving him answers. For making this so sudden. "W— What?"

"Go. Home." I shouted, hearing my voice break. There were tears in my eyes and when I looked up at him, I saw the genuine pain in his face.

His eyebrows were gently furrowed and his mouth slightly open. I couldn't bare looking at him. He looked like a hurt puppy.

"Please just... just go." I whispered softly. If he knew why I was doing this, I knew he'd understand, but I couldn't tell him. I just couldn't.

He only nodded and uncomfortably cleared his throat before walking off, hanging his head low.

I brought a hand to my forehead and felt a single tear slide down my cheek. Shit.

***

Harley can't go to school today. Henri signed to my mother, who tapped her foot impatiently with her arms crossed.

Why not?

She is having girl problems. He hesitated a second before spelling.
C-R-A-M-P-S.

Yes, I promised I'd clean his room for a week if he said that, he always had an easier way of convincing my mother to say yes than I did.

Her eyes shot up towards me. I was laying on my bed, watching the conversation. It was true, I did have my period, but there were other things too. For one, I couldn't face Gilbert, and two, my arm was twitching again. The pain was constant, but when it twitched, it for some reason hurt a lot more.

"You're only missing today, Harleen Clarke." She snapped, then signed to Henri, Get your boots on. I'm walking you to school.

I put the bed covers over my head and waited until I heard the door click shut before opening my eyes again.

I couldn't keep doing this. Running away from my problems instead of facing them, but tomorrow I will. When my arm, my cramps, and head were all feeling better.

When my mother got back, she could barely look at me. I was eating my oatmeal when she came back with a sharp glare. "When you're done eating, right upstairs to bed. Understand? You'll need plenty of rest."

I nodded hunched over my food with my warm blanket draped over me.

After I went back to my plain room, the thought hit me. My pen-pal could've possible written back to me and left the note under the doormat.

No. I told myself. It'll still be there tomorrow, just write him back then.

But then another thought occured to me.

If I don't write him back today, he'll figure out who I am, and I'm not ready for that yet.

So it was decided, I had to find a way to sneak out. Sneak back in, and not let anyone know I was gone.

I crept into my father's upstairs room, and went into his closet, finding a large chest full of his old school clothes. I don't know why he still had them, maybe to give to Henri one day.

The reason I knew where it was, was because I've done it before. Dressed up in his clothes. Once during summer, I put the slightly big clothes on my father wore in grade school and ran to the nearby lake, just to feel free. It's been ages since I've done it, but since I was sneaking out of the house, why not have on a disguise aswell?

No one could know who I was if they quickly saw me passing by.

It was sunny outside, but the wind was still blowing somewhat hard. I found a white button-down collared shirt, along with large, dark brown trousers. I tucked the shirt in, and rolled the sleeves to my elbows, and slid on the matching suspenders. I topped the look off with a brown wool and leather flat cap.

As I glanced in the mirror, I felt really pretty in that moment. No lace or flouncy dresses, just an outfit that genuinely showed me.

While I did feel beautiful in those too, this was different. I was finally free, feeling rebellious. And that just had a certain thrill to it that dresses didn't have.

I slid on a big beige trench coat that used to belong to my Grandfather, and krept downstairs.

My mother was resting in her room, and I had about 2 hours before she woke again. Once I was at the front door, I grabbed my father's over the shoulder satchel and placed my paper and mother's fountain pen in carefully with the rest.

I slowly opened the front door, and once it was closed behind me, I ran off, towards the school, hearing the leaves crackle below my feet, and the wind hit my bare ears.

I put my hair in a low bun for extra affect.

I finally made it to the top of the hill where the school was, when I realized I only had about 10 minutes before class was over.

Now was the time.

I reached under the mat and sighed of relief feeling a piece of paper from him.

Is it the last one? I don't know any girls in the class that like red, but then again, I don't know.

My eyes locked to the words on the last line.

The girl I'm in love with likes a different colour.<3