fourteen

"A boy?! But that's- that's against the rules." Diana sputtered, quickly shaking her head.

"I know! But Mr. Phillips made the mistake, and if he actually cared about this activity, he'd be able to see it. The boy and I... we just played along."

Diana looked up from her shoes and licked her lips. "You don't know who he is?"

I shook my head embarrassed. We wanted to keep it a secret from eachother and with my feelings out there now, there's no way I'm telling him anytime soon. "We both respect eachother's privacy and boundaries... And I don't think I'm ready to know yet. He really is such a gentleman, unlike any boy I know in our class. If I find out it's Billy or someone like that, it'll be different. But whoever it is... I do think I love him."

Diana's nervous look fell, and a warm smile grew across her lips. "Well I have to admit that is quite romantical. Two unknown lovers brought together on accident. Forbidden from the truth because of the risk of being found out and punished for cheating." Diana had this dreamy smile and glanced up at the sky. "I wish I had gotten a boy."

I laughed softly. "I think Anne is rubbing off on you."

"Oh Anne! Could I please tell her this? She could write a wonderful story-"

Before she could finish I interrupted her. "I'm sorry Diana. But I don't want anyone finding out about this. Especially the other girls and everyone in the class. I need to know that I can trust you."

Diana sighed slowly and a serious look went across her face, she nodded. "This is obviously important to you, I should respect that."

I smiled and embraced her. Hugging her tight. It's been awhile since I've had one of those.

"Could I read the other letters?" She asked eagerly. I laughed. Diana was keeping one of my biggest secrets. The least I could do was humour her.

"You have to promise to give them back before the school day ends." I said sternly, and she nodded.

***
DIANA'S POV

The letters were beautifully written. I could see how well the two connected. His words were charming and poetic. We didn't do the pen-pal activity today because Gilbert wasn't here. Really he hasn't been here for awhile and I could tell it was annoying Mr. Phillips.

Afterschool, he asked Harley to stay behind. I lingered in the doorway to hand her back her letters. It looked like they were having a tense conversation before Mr. Phillips slammed his hand on the desk, silencing Harley. She forcefully grabbed a handful of books and rolled her eyes.

Then she turned back towards me and started walking fast. "I have to drop these off for Gilbert. Will you come with me?" She asked quickly.

We stepped off the porch onto the perfectly white snow. She had already started walking, then I paused.

I nodded without thinking, but then something hit me. "W- wait Harley. Josie's rule, I can't- I can't break it."

She sighed impatiently, and whirled around towards me. Some locks of her hair flying in the sky. "Please Diana. If we go together it will seem like a school-friendly thing, but if I just go, it'll seem like I'm the one breaking it."

I bit my lip and quickly glanced around. "Well... well what about Henri?"

"He's sick. He's been sick the past 2 days."