eleven

TWO YEARS AGO

I ran. I don't know for how long, but long enough to where my lungs started to burn and my legs ached. I came to this great lake. I wasn't sure what the name of it was, but it sure was peaceful.

I practically collapsed onto a rock, putting a hand through my sweaty hair. Tears clouded my vision as I thought about their taunts. Before I had time to cry some more, I heard twigs snap and footsteps approach. Great.

I turn and saw boots, trousers, suspenders, and then— a girl...? She almost looked unrecognizable. But as soon as I saw one of her eyebrows shoot up confused, I knew.

Harley Clarke. The nicest girl in first grade, my enemy in second, after that, we didn't talk much. I didn't know if she recognized me at first either. She squinted her eyes. "Gilbert?"

I sighed and nodded, I wasn't trying to make my annoyance obvious, but I was in the middle of crying and the last person I wanted to see was a girl.

"Why are you dressed in boy clothes." I asked with a flat tone, looking at her confused.

She scoffed at this. "These are simply clothes. There is no boy or girl clothes, that's like saying the worlds black and white. These are just clothes traditionally worn by men. Doesn't mean it's completely one gender's."

I was too tired to follow, so I didn't push further. She hadn't changed much. Still strong-willed and very opinionated. She plopped down next to me, with a basket of colourful flowers poking out at random spots.

I looked back towards the lake. "You know there isn't much flowers over here."

This made her shrug. "I saw you run over here crying. That seemed plenty more interesting that daisies." She said in the same tone.

When I shot her a quick hurt look, she sighed, a genuine one. "And maybe... I wanted to make sure you were okay." She quickly added in a low tone.

After a minute of silence, she looked back towards me. "So why are you crying?"

It was my turn to sigh and I shifted on the rock. "Bullies."

She rolled her eyes. "Ugh, tell them to shove off."

"They're girls."

"So? I'd still do it." She didn't act shocked or looked at me as if I was a child. I guess to her, she really didn't see gender.

"It's Prissy Andrews."

Now she looked at me. "What did Prissy say?" She said her name in a proper voice, which made me almost crack a smile.

I waited a few seconds before answering. Would Harley make fun of me like them? Would I really have no one after that?

I decided, screw it, tell the truth. "Well she— she poked fun at me for not having kissed anyone yet."

Harley whipped around to face me. Some of her hair nearly hitting my chin. "Seriously?!" She asked in disbelief.

I slowly nodded and looked back towards the lake. Thinking more about it, it really felt stupid.