4. Stubborn.

Jordan called for back up and the the Sheriff turned up with his team. 

"I'll take Lydia and Meredith back to the station. You search Brunski's office, see what you find." The Sheriff ordered and Jordan and I headed to his office.

"You don't have to come, you know." Jordan pointed out making me laugh.

"Someone's got to keep you company, plus, I can help." I admitted.

"But you also need sleep." He told me, making me roll my eyes.

"So do you." I stated. 

"But this is my job," He said making me stop walking.

"Jordan, this maybe your job, but there are lives on the line here, including ours, we have to do whatever we can whether it's our job or not." I said as I started walking again. "I'm helping."

"You're so stubborn." He laughed as we walked into Bunski's office. 

------------------

It was around 7 am when we reached the station after a long hard search. I walked in with Jordan, meeting the Sheriff and Lydia.

"We searched through everything in Brunski's office. And so far everything amounts to nothing." He said as he put his thumbs through the loops of his trousers. He looked at Lydia.

"Did you not go home yet?" He asked. 

"Not until Meredith starts talking.." She answered making me nod. I elbowed Jordan gently.

"And you think I'm stubborn." I laughed.

"Lydia, I promise she'll talk and when she does, i'll let you know." The Sheriff said. "Trust me on this, everybody talks eventually."

"Let me try," Lydia said making the Sheriff get annoyed.

"No, we've already discussed this." He told her.

"I've gotten through to her before, just let me try." She replied. Jordan looked at me and I raised my eyebrows making him smile slightly. 

The Sheriff gave in and let Lydia talk to Meredith. The Sheriff walked into his office first, with Lydia following and Jordan going in after. He turned to me.

"You're not coming in," He said and I sighed.

"We've already established that you can't stop me." I said smugly as I walked past him and into the office.

"Really Maddie?" The Sheriff asked, I nodded. It was important, i wanted to know anything to do with this dead pool, it's got my name on it after all.

"I think i've got a good idea as to all this happened." Lydia said as she paced back and forth. "You used Brunski, right? You know that he'd killed people, and that he'd do it again." Lydia took a deep breath before she sat down beside Meredith.

"He used my grandmothers code for the dead pool, he put it online, he took the money from the Hale vault then turned the bearer bonds into cash. He made the payments. Was it Brunski's idea to fake your death? Did he get nervous because you helped us with the other keys?" She questioned.

"I wanted to help." Meredith admitted.

"All you ever wanted to do was help.." Lydia stated while Meredith nodded. "Is that why you're here? I know you wouldn't be here if you didn't want to talk." 

"I do, but only to one person." Meredith said.

"Who?" Lydia asked.

"Peter." Meredith stated, making my breath hitch. "Peter Hale."