𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑶𝒏𝒆

Jane Oswald walked into the dinning hall. It was dedicated purely towards those that were using the old arena; which had been adapted to become more of a place to train the dragons people had been given- which were mainly teenagers.

It was a form of education that anyone could opt out of; if they explained why. And the final assessment was at the age of eighteen, a class would be made to train a Dragon- a lifetime companion.

The walls of the hall were made of wood- as was the roof- nothing much had been changed about it. The main change were the decorations that hung from the walls, that were once there.

They had gotten rid of the shields, and weapons, seeing as they made most, new arrivals of dragons, uncomfortable.

Tables still filled the building; they were long, and made of the same wood the Hall was. Most of them held somewhat large groups of students and attendees, however, the table she was heading over to only had one person sat at it; he was scribbling down in a book, with a blank expression on his face, except from when someone went to sit down at the table, to which they earned a glare.

Jane sighed, shaking her head slightly, sitting down opposite the brown haired boy. Without looking up, he greeted the black haired girl with a quiet, "Hello, Jane."

Jane nodded, "Hi." She replied, with a small smile.

He nodded, making sure his helmet didn't fall off- the type of helmet he wore was frowned upon, seeing as they too were one of the things that seemingly unnerved newer, untrained, dragons, especially because of the horns on them. They were the traditional helmets. His in particular was crafted by himself- and was of a silver colour.

Jane nodded slowly, "So Toby, uh, have you picked which Dragon you're going to try and train yet? Everyone else has.."

"I refuse to partake in it." Toby replied, reluctantly closing his book. "None of them like me, and I don't like any of them."

Jane scoffed, "Toothless likes you." She retorted, "He's a Dragon."

Toby rolled his eyes, "Yes, I'll take my Father's Dragon, incompetent Dragon, might I add." He replied, sarcastically.

Jane sighed, resting her head on her palm as she ate. "And how is he incompetent?" She asked.

"It." He corrected, before reluctantly taking the slightly oversized helmet off of his head and placing it on top of the leather cover of his book, revealing a mass of brown, shaggy curls. "And it still tries to interact with me, despite me clearly hating it's existance." Toby explained, reluctantly starting to eat.

"Okay, but, say, hypothetically, you did get one, which would you get?" Jane asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, a Lycanwing would be interesting-" Toby began, tilting his head to the side as he spoke, whilst looking at his food.

"Realistically." Jane sighed.

Toby grumbled under his breath, "Hypothetically, a Deadly Nadder, a Scarer, or a Polar-Serpent." He muttered.

Jane nodded, "So which one you gonna get?" She asked, not looking up from her food.

"None!" Toby hissed, dropping his cutlery as he held a stern and shadowed glare.

"I'm getting a Sentinel Dragon, hopefully." An aurbun haired boy stated, sitting down at the table, with a soft smile, and blue eyes. He held a hopeful and enthusiastic look, "They're amazing creatures! And I'd love to see one in person!"

"No one cares, Jackson-" Toby grumbled, his gaze turning into one of annoyance as it shifted to him.

"I'm getting a Monsterous Nightmare!" Another male exclaimed, sitting down as well- on the opposite side of Toby, so, he couldn't continue not-so-discretely shuffling away from Jack.

Toby glared at the black haired boy; his hair was tied in a bun, on top of his head, and he had pale grey eyes- with a condescending smile. "Go away, Jeff." He muttered.

It was common knowledge around Berk that Toby and Jeff didn't get along. Toby held grudges. Even if they were caused by actions that didn't even affect him; but towards one of the few people he cared about. However, it wasn't just because of the previous Jorgenson's actions, either. Jeff was a lot like his Father- when he was younger, if not arguably worse.

"Do you really want him to do better than you at this?" Jane asked quietly, "You've aced all of the other assessments, with the ways Dragon's behave, with how they act, their diet- are you really going to let this clown beat you at the thing that matters most?"

Toby paused, biting at his cheek, as he glanced around, sending glares to the each of them, before his eyes landed back onto Jane. "You're very manipulative. Just like your Mother." He stated, grabbing his things as he stood up, putting his helmet on, before leaving.

Jeff scoffed, immediately taken Toby's practically untouched food and shoving it onto his own plate. "Even the coward's friend turned against him. It's amusing, isn't it?" He stated, with a smug grin.

"I didn't turn against him." Jane sighed. "He's avoiding something that caused his pain; but doing that can actually prevent healing." She stated, softly, attempting to defend herself.

"It wasn't exactly, the best thing you could do, though, Jane.." Jack mumbled, with a slightly disheartened look.

Jane grumbled, rolling her green orbs. "You guys know nothing about Toby, you guys try talking sense into him! The only time he listens to logical reasoning is when it comes from his parents." She retorted, "And he refuses to tell them that he doesn't want to be apart of this since he doesn't want to disappoint them-"

"Well, how isn't he a disappointment?" Jeff chuckled, before picking up a chicken leg, gently waving it up and down as he spoke, "I say that the Dragon aimed for the wrong kid-" He joked, causing Jane to stand up with her tray in hand; a disgusted look filling her expression.

"You're such an insensitive jerk." She muttered, narrowing her eyes at him.

Jeff tried to put on an innocent expression as he rose his eyebrows, "What do you mean?" He asked, "All I'm saying was if he was my kid he would've been kicked out a long time ago."

"Ugh." Jane scoffed in disgust, rolling her eyes as she pulled away from the table, starting to leave; most likely going to sit with her other friends; the only reason she didn't originally was because she was worried for Toby- she was a naturally caring person.

"What?" Jeff called out, "It's the truth." He added, with a sly chuckle at the end, as he glanced to Jack, who shook his head in disapproval.