𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑵𝒊𝒏𝒆

A quiet and somewhat timid knock could be heard coming from Jane's front door, which caused said girl to approach it curiously. Who would it be? She was rather popular but none of her friends actively seeked her out of school.

Opening the door, she took a step back, revealing a rather awkwardly stood Toby, who (for once) had left his helmet at home- presumably. It had been two days after he'd insulated both the village's mead and his Mother's original festive drink, and was probably allowed out again. "Since you pointed out that I don't really hang out with people I thought that you could show me why it's so great." He stated, with a small shrug, "If you're free. If not I understand."

A smile formed on the girl's lips as she nodded, "Yeah! C'mon they might be holding some of the contents, I'll just tell my parents I'm going out." Jane replied, before walking off into the house, leaving Toby there, confused.

"I just say, 'see you later' and leave, but sure." He mumbled. Toby felt awkward hanging out with people that weren't Tim or his parents, and then again, neither of them really hung out; it was more conversing, and he normally just stayed at home when he wanted to spend time with his parents. It also felt rather alien to him to not be wearing a helmet in public; of course he didn't wear it at his home, unless he was frustrated.

Today might as well have mirrored the idea of polar bears trying to leave in rain forests, an odd yet interesting sight that would probably go badly wrong.

But, then again, animals can adapt. So maybe so could Toby.

It wasn't too long until Jane came back; the girl was smiling brightly as she walked out. Jane was shocked but glad about Toby's sudden change in heart, with socializing. Maybe this was him starting to heal a bit and move on? She was proud of her friend.

They started to head towards the arena- yes, it was used to help train those who wished to have a Dragon companion, but on the few days of the week it was vacant, it would sometimes be used as a venue for sporting-like events. Most were activities for more advanced riders, were they would partake in challenges that would involve both the Dragon and Rider- some even meaning they were to team up with one another. It was a great past time, as it brought in big crowds and was highly anticipated amongst most Vikings of Berk. Not only that, but it also encouraged those of younger ages to see how well a Dragon's and Human's bond could truly be.

Toby didn't attend to many of them; so this would be a rather newer experience for him, but since he was learning how to "hang out" he wouldn't question the activity Jane had chosen. It would've been rude and pointless to the educational experience. Over his two days of being cooped up within his home's walls, except from when he needed to go to classes, had taken a toll on him. Instead of being able to travel to what felt like a new world to him and escape by placing all his thoughts down into a book as a vent, he was forced to stay somewhere where he was safe and loved and welcomed, but felt less peaceful as there was always a constant interruption- even if it was just a friendly question or comment. It was hard to concentrate and get his thoughts down onto paper, therefore trapping himself in his own head and making him debate the ideas that appeared within. He had concluded that wasting away mentally and repressing what was to happen was useless, and most likely only causing more damage; yes, it would take some time to get accustomed to, but it was better to adapt.

Finally, Toby broke the silence between the two- even though it wasn't uncomfortable for either of them. "I think I'm going to train a Deadly Nadder." Toby stated, causing Jane to look over to him with a bright expression.

"You chose a Dragon?" She exclaimed, her green eyes widening with joy- this was major progress in her eyes.

Toby nodded with a small hum, "Yep, I took some time to go over it. It's the species I feel most comfortable around and I think my experience with Stormfly will be a great advantage." He replied with a small shrug nonchalantly, as if the conversation was normal for him.

Jane smiled, hesitantly ruffling his hair, "Well, I'm proud of you, Tobes.! She stated, and to her surprise, Toby chuckled quietly, then thanking her.

It wasn't long until they both arrived at the arena: the structure was packed- every row that looked downwards onto the pitch was almost completely filled, causing Jane to rush over to the second to bottom row, quickly taking a seat, and egging Toby to quickly grab one too, with a bright expression. "I think they're racing, today." She told Toby as she intently looked onto the now entering competitors.