5. Strange

"That's...strange," Cairo wondered.

"Yeah, it was," Lyra agreed.

"The timing..." Cairo thought.

"Anyway, thank you again, Ly, you kinda saved me," he grinned at her.

"That's what best friends are for, silly!" she teased him as she moved to lightly hug him.

"Aww...oww," Cairo purred and then winced slightly as he tried to hug her back. "Sorry, my body's aching."

"Hehe, I guess you'll have to rest here for a while, patient De Dios," she laughed at him.

"Not funny," he feigned annoyance.

Silence hugged them again.

Cairo then thought about his birthmark.

"You know---"

"'---Cairo, your dad's here," Mrs. De Dios announced as she came back with her husband.

"How are you son?" Mr. De Dios observed his son.

"I'm feeling better than when I came in here," Cairo replied.

"We're going to report that driver to the police," his dad frowned.

Cairo just nodded.

"Can you narrate to me what exactly happened again?" his dad asked.

"Well, I was walking home through Concepcion Street, when a car hit me from the back," Cairo began. "I passed out. Then Lyra called me and I woke up."

"My poor boy, I am so thankful you're alive!" Mrs. De Dios burst into tears as she hugged her son.

"Oww, careful Ma," Cairo winced again.

"Oh, sorry, I forgot," she sniffed. "I think you should rest son. Get more sleep."

"Uhm okay."

"Tita, Tito, I will go home now," Lyra decided. She wanted to stay but then thought to give Cairo time to rest and be left with his family for the mean time.

"Oh okay, take care Lyra. Thank you for informing us," Mrs. De Dios embraced her.

"Thank you, Lyra. Let us know when you're home already," Mr. De Dios added. "Be careful."

"I will. Goodbye Tita, Tito," she bade.

She looked tenderly at her best friend. "Bye Cai. Get well, ha."

"Thanks, Ly," he warmly smiled at her. "I will."

His best friend exited the room and went home.