8. Lockdown

"Sir, there won't be classes tomorrow, there'll be a lockdown!" said Leslie, one of Cairo's students, as he told the class to clean up the room after the lesson.

"Yeah sir, the NCov is here in the Philippines now said in the news yesterday," Dylan quipped.

"Oh, let's hope not. No, there'll be classes tomorrow," Cairo said, trying to counter their jests.

Tuesday in school was just ending. But only a few students were present due to the news of NCoV in the country.

"No sir, we bet there'll be no classes tomorrow," Leslie challenged.

Cairo just gave a quizzical smile.

"All right, since everything's in order, you can now go. Goodbye and thank you, STEMB4," Cairo dismissed the class.

"Goodbye and thank you, Sir De Dios," they chorused.

"Take care, class!" Cairo added.

"Take care also, Sir," Leslie chirped.

"Take care, Sir," Dylan replied.

They went out of the classroom until Cairo was left.

Feeling satisfied with the day, he went out also and went down to the faculty room.

In the faculty room, the teachers were buzzing with the rumors of a lockdown.

"It's possible that there won't be classes tomorrow," Ms. Macalintal said.

"Better bring home our things and papers to check then," Mr. Berdon half-joked.

Cairo thought about it. Yes, he'll bring them all home, just in case.

***

The students' jesting came true the next day.

It was announced online that there will not be classes today. There was a directive from their school to give activities through online means instead for the meantime.

Cairo felt a bit relieved to somehow have a break from going to school although he hoped that the disease will not spread and everything will be back to normal as soon as possible.

***

Later that day, it was announced that there will be a lockdown starting Saturday.

"Oh no. I won't be able to see Ly on Sunday!" Cairo's heart fell.