13. Start of the First Online School Year

Came October 5, 2020, the school year started with the DepEd Secretary giving an opening speech and the simultaneous flag-raising ceremony across all public schools.

And on World Teacher's Day of 2020, the new school year began.

The public schools, or government schools or DepEd schools as some would call them, had no specific LMS to be used and was not limited to only internet. In some parts of provinces where the internet signal was still weak, television and radio were also used.

For those who had access to the internet, the DepEd Commons was utilized, aside from the printed modules. Since there was no specific platform to be limited to, most teachers preferred contacting their students first through Facebook. The advisers changed their profile pictures into formal photos with their whole name written.

"Mr. Cairo De Dios, you look so dapper and handsome 😍 :P ," Lyra teased her best friend by commenting on Cairo's new profile pic.

Cairo haha'd her comment while grinning widely.

Does she really think so? He thought.

Some of his previous students wowed, hearted, liked, his picture and flattered him in the comments as well.

At least he got to connect with his new students easily and they would know him formally first.

***

Two weeks passed by and Cairo was still trying to adjust to teaching in the New Normal.

Sometimes, he was already having headaches. Then there were instances that he had a hard time breathing.

"Maybe it's due to all this stress," he thought.

Then, one Friday night, he started to have chills then fever.