4

"Natalie, is Mark home?" I asked Natalie as I got ready for work.

"Yea, he's off today? Why?" She asked.

"I have no one to watch Brielle. Can he do it? My week off ends today." I said.

"Yea, call him." She said.

"Thank you." I said and hung up the phone, completely forgetting that I should've called Mark.

I drove to Natalies house and rang the doorbell.

Mark answered the door. He looked tired, and I immediately felt bad for having to give him Brielle. But I needed someone to watch her.

"Is this Brielle? Natalie told me all about her." He said.

"Yea, I need-"

"You need someone to watch her, I know, Natalie called me." He said.

I sighed. "Are you sure you can do it? You look tired." I said.

He nodded. "Don't worry. I'll be fine."

I nodded and gave him everything he needed. "She doesn't really need much, she just needs to be fed every 2-3 hours. She'll start crying if she's hungry, or if her diaper needs to be changed. Other than that she doesn't really make any noise." I said.

Mark nodded. "Don't worry about her okay?" He said.

I nodded and walked to my car. "I'll be here by 5:30 to pick her up." I yelled and got in my car.

I drummed my fingers in the steering wheel as I pulled up to the first red light. What if Mark forgot to feed her? Then her schedule would be messed up and then I'll have to alter it.

I took a deep breath and calmed down. Mark will get everything done, he has a kid of his own.

I pulled into the hospital parking lot and walked in.

"Hey daddy." Carlo said and laughed.

"Ha ha, very funny." I said and rolled my eyes.

"How do you have a kid and are still early for your shift? I was late yesterday and I didn't even party two nights ago." He said and sighed.

I laughed. "Time management is key, Carlo."

"I have to go to Frank's room for his check-up. Catch you later Aaron." Carlo said and clapped my back.

I turned around, ready to go to the maternity ward and saw someone who looked familiar.

She had the same beautiful curly hair and tattoo as-

"Anya?" I asked, walking up behind her.

She gasped. "Oh, my god you scared me." She said her eyes puffy and her voice shaky.

She crossed her arms over her chest and sniffed.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

She nodded. "Yea I'm fine." She said and plastered a smile on her face.

I raised an eyebrow. "You are- or were- crying."

"You have work. And I also just don't feel comfortable talking about it right now." She said.

I nodded. "Alright. I'm sorry if-"

"It's okay, you didn't. Thanks for asking though." She said, and it sounded genuine.

"Well listen, you have my number. If you want to talk, just text me." I said.

She nodded and smiled. "Thank you."