𝐈𝐈.𝐈𝐈𝐈.𝐢𝐢

❝𝑭𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒔 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅

❝𝑭𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒅𝒆𝒇𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒔 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅.❞
— 𝐑𝐀𝐋𝐏𝐇 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐃𝐎 𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐎𝐍

꧁꧂

VALEN SOUNDLY CLENCHED THE REINS OF HER HORSE AS THEY VENTURED DEEPER AND DEEPER INTO WALL MARIA.

The earth thundered as over a hundred horses pounded their hooves on the untamed grass, ushering onward the combined forces of the Scout and Garrison Regiments. In the hour they'd spent preparing for this impromptu operation, the sun's light had grown more vicious and uncompromising, glaring down on their heads; the wind had picked up speed, gently nudging the grass and scarce trees studding the prairie. For such treacherous lands, the prairie was exceptionally innocuous by impression— no one could have guessed that at any second, a swarm of Titans expected them eagerly.

They crested over a mound, zipping past a cluster of pine trees. Behind Valen, six Garrison soldiers tailed them closely. Valen hadn't cared to glance back since they departed from Trost, but when the lifts had carried them down from Wall Rose, she sensed the utter fear they radiated, how it hunched their shoulders, paled their skin until it was translucent in the light of the descending sun. Not only were they scared, but inexperienced, too, having never stepped any farther than the ledge of the Wall while on cannon duty. She disliked this arrangement, being named second-in-command for a group of weaklings— no amount of leadership would diminish their cowardice; how Levi planned on pulling the group together was beyond her.

As she was trained, Valen gave the field a cursory glance. The horse racing alongside hers belonged to Levi, who was curved over, clutching the reins of his horse. After their dispute, he'd disappeared as quickly as he'd appeared— it was when the Scouts and the Garrison convened atop Wall Rose when they crossed paths again. Their only interaction since their quarrel was a stern debriefing delivered by Levi himself, but that debriefing was addressed to the squad in general. He hadn't liked her being there— she understood social cues better than anyone else—yet he still had to address her as his second-in-command, the temporary senior team leader of the First Squad.

And she liked that.

Popping echoed from the northern end of the formation; red flares streaked the darkening sky, originating from the formation's right flank. Valen reached for her pistol, popped in a pre-loaded barrel, and fired a flare of her own before sliding the pistol back in its holster. She scanned the skies for a response from Commander Erwin.

Precisely three seconds later, a green flare slashed across orange, soaring in the direction of the right flank.

What's going on? Had Reiner and Bertholdt hijacked the formation? The Commander had created the formation specifically to evade danger, not swerve directly into it. She swiveled her head to ask Levi what was going on but stopped when she sighted his pursed lips.