𝐈.𝐕𝐈𝐈

❝𝑯𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒊𝒔 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆!❞— 𝐉𝐄𝐀𝐍-𝐏𝐀𝐔𝐋 𝐒𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐑𝐄

— 𝐉𝐄𝐀𝐍-𝐏𝐀𝐔𝐋 𝐒𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐑𝐄

꧁꧂

"WE'RE HERE," Levi announced.

The dirt path before them sharpened, the grass thinning as the path stretched on. Beyond the foliage resided one of the largest buildings she'd seen, other than the Walls she'd grown accustomed to seeing—a castle tucked away in the woods.

Turrets tiled in blue needled at the sky, and an alure circled the castle. Windows of varying sizes dotted the exterior, and various pillars towered over the smaller structures. "Stables are over there." Valen steered her horse to the indicated building, a quaint, but sturdy structure capable of housing no more than a dozen horses. The stench of hay and manure assaulted her nostrils, and the soil sagged under her horses' hooves. Coming inside, the smell only worsened. Valen wished she could pull her cloak to her nose, but knowing Levi, he'd likely chastise her for it. She endured the pungent odor, smoothly sliding from the saddle and guiding the equine to a stall.

Valen closed the stall, penning her horse inside. "The veterinarians only come by every five days, so it's an expectation that everyone cares for their own horse," Levi said, stroking the mane of his horse. It astonished her, seeing the Captain display affection of any kind, especially with an animal.

Guess Humanity's Strongest is more of an animal person. Valen readjusted her bag on her shoulder. Her to-do list was extensive—finding and setting up her quarters, locating the showers, unpacking... she had to get started as soon as possible, and right now seemed like the perfect time to tackle all those things. She darted toward the exit, but Levi blocked her way, shoving himself between her and the doorway.

"We need to have a word," Levi said.

"Pardon?"

"It's sir, no more pardons," Levi corrected. "I'm warning you. You do anything, and I mean anything to upset any of my comrades, I'm the first one you're hearing from."

"And why would I do such a thing?"

"I'm warning you," Levi repeated, his gray eyes hardening. "You're standing on very thin ice right now, and my trust in Erwin is the only thing stopping me from ousting you for good." His lips almost brushed up against her ear. "It'd be in your best interest to behave yourself."

"Cornering a woman in a stable is grounds for scandalous assumptions."

Levi scoffed. "And since when do I care?"

"Your poor mother—"

"Enough," Levi sharply interjected— goosebumps spread across her arms like wildfire. "Your quarters are on the third floor in the eastern wing. Take any of the available rooms—but as soon as you find your room, you're dropping your things off and reporting to the kitchen. I've placed you on breakfast duty. Don't even think of skipping, because more than likely I'm going to be the one to find you, and I assure you that will not be pleasant for the both of us."