𝐈.𝐗

❝𝑨𝒏𝒅, 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒆 𝒊𝒕

❝𝑨𝒏𝒅, 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒆 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒆𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒐 𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒆𝒗𝒆 𝒊𝒕.❞
— 𝐏𝐀𝐔𝐋𝐎 𝐂𝐎𝐄𝐋𝐇𝐎

꧁꧂

BARK!

Valé sharply turned right, nearly losing her footing as she stumbled into an alleyway.

On her way in, she dodged a large dumpster container, disturbing the business of flies that buzzed around the opening. Though she ran as fast as her legs carried her, every step was so sluggish, dragged and restrained. She was moving, but not moving.

BARK! BARK! BARK! Sprinting, Valé's fastidious customs had gone out the window, and she didn't think twice dashing through dirty puddles and piles of trash. She weaved in between trash cans, sidestepped large clusters of animal droppings, and stomped on what probably was a litter of rats. It was astounding how dirty the City had gotten in the past couple of years, particularly the center— gentrification had pushed tens of thousands inward. The alleyways' characteristic soap and linen fragrance had perished since then.

"Where'd she go?! Fucking hussy's faster than the fucking canines!" A brood of termites crunched under Valé's worn loafers as she stepped over what remained of a rotting wooden crate.

"I'll show that broad a thing or two once I get my hands on 'er!" Valé vaulted over an abandoned bookcase blocking her way. Quickly, she rubbed the dust and grime over her uniform to impair the canines' keen sense of smell. Approaching an intersection, she continued straight ahead, barreling past the neighboring passageways on her sides. Where this alley would lead her? Beyond her. The sun blocked by the enclosing buildings, orientating herself was useless. All she could do was hope she wasn't racing towards Altagracia, which had been completely gentrified years ago.

BARK! BARK! BARK!

It'd started during class. Despite her friends dropping out of school long ago, Valé had continued attending, partly on the wishes of her parents, former professors in a once renowned university. But she no longer engaged in classroom discussions like she had years ago—in fact, she suspected she wasn't even allowed to speak. She'd also stopped raising her hand when she needed help—her brothers would explain the material, if they remembered anything; they'd stopped showing up right away, choosing the backbreaking task of sowing and cultivating the Republic's shrinking food supply.

Maybe she should have joined them, too. "Right there, up ahead!"

Valé quickened her pace.

The terrain began to slope upward, a good sign for Valé—she was bound for San Mares, one of the City's centermost neighborhoods, not Altagracia as she'd feared. But the journey uphill was winding her, especially now that she'd been running for a while. Regardless, she braved the changing landscape, her stamina from years of dancing kicking in—the land would even soon, if she continued.