𝐈.𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

❝𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆 — 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒅𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆? 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒅𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 — 𝒂𝒏𝒅, 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒎𝒆, 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒅𝒊𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒇𝒓𝒐...

❝𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆 — 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒅𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆? 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒅𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 — 𝒂𝒏𝒅, 𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒎𝒆, 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒅𝒊𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒃𝒆𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒅?
— 𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐂𝐀

꧁꧂

JUST AS SHE'D ENVISIONED, VALEN MEANDERED ALONG THE STREAM, THE SOIL SOFTENING UNDER HER SOLES AS SHE IDLED CLOSER AND CLOSER TO HER DESTINATION. The water's swishing filled her ears, murmuring to her like it was singing a song.

Everything was alright.

Up ahead, Valen distinguished a rock large enough to be used as a chair. She toughened her hold on the book wedged in the crook of her elbow and hastened her pace, conscious of the ground sinking under her steps. Looking up, the sky had darkened since she'd bid Petra farewell— clouds hovered menacingly over the canopy, growing denser as the evening elapsed.

If she poked her tongue out, she could probably taste the humidity.

A gust of wind wove through the greenery as Valen plopped down on a rock. Excluding earlier today, it'd been years since Valen was able to properly ease back and read a book. But this, Valen reminded herself, was not a relaxing occasion— she was reading because there was something her dreams were trying to tell her, something she needed to know.

The Science Behind Dreams.

Just opening the book stoked her curiosity. Upon opening, she was confronted by an extensive table of contents page, sections and page numbers listed. Right away, Valen determined that she was not reading the book in its entirety— as curious as she was, she would never dare read all seven hundred and fifty-five pages.

Valen pressed her finger to the paper, zeroing in on the section titles. The authors—a group of promising physicians who'd graduated from Stohess' university three years ago—had written broadly on dreams, certain sections devoted to neural connections, others centering completely on psychological theory.

Halfway down the table of contents, Valen's finger paused, and she squinted.

Non-Declarative Memory & Parasomnia

Parasomnia— that was the word that'd burdened her for years. Valen traveled to page three hundred and fifty-six.

There are various forms of memory, the main categories including short-term and long-term memory. Under these central categories exist other forms of long-term memory, being explicit (declarative) and implicit (non-declarative). What mainly contrasts these forms of memory is their accessibility and how they're applied in our daily lives. Declarative memory can be willingly recalled and primarily consists of previous events and factual information. Nondeclarative, on the contrary, cannot be summoned consciously. For this section, we will be centering primarily on non-declarative memory and how they influence dreams.