𝐈.𝐈𝐈

❝𝑾𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆, 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒆𝒄𝒕 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒔, 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒃𝒆𝒈𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒖𝒔 𝒂𝒕 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒔𝒖𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒍𝒚, 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒄𝒆, 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒂 �...

❝𝑾𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒆𝒐𝒑𝒍𝒆, 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒆𝒄𝒕 𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒓𝒔, 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒃𝒆𝒈𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝒊𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒖𝒔 𝒂𝒕 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒔𝒕 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒉𝒐𝒘 𝒔𝒖𝒅𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒍𝒚, 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒄𝒆, 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒂 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝒉𝒂𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒔𝒑𝒐𝒌𝒆𝒏.❞
— 𝐅𝐘𝐎𝐃𝐎𝐑 𝐃𝐎𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐄𝐕𝐒𝐊𝐘

꧁꧂

THE CITY: THE STAPLE OF HUMANITY'S INGENUITY AND ACUMEN. Where the brightest engineers designed marvelous inventions that were once deemed solely imaginable, where the most astute doctors practiced medicine and cured the incurable, and where the best artists displayed their work, whether through a painstakingly crafted musical composition comprised of euphonious harmonies and enticing rhythms, or a literary masterpiece written to evoke the strongest sentiments from the even the most cold-hearted. Yet it appeared to be completely ordinary so ordinary one would not presume that this was the world's center for innovation at a first glance.

Flowers of all hues flourished in the sunlight, bulbs bursting in a splay of color, and meticulously trimmed trees wavered in the wind, standing in the median strip of greenery separating opposing lanes. Birds cooed from their nests, and dogs of all breeds skipped around, ears perked and snouts sharp. All was relatively mild.

Valé biked around the Square, her braid bouncing on her back as she circled around the bandstand and past the peeling, iron benches erected equidistantly from one another. She raced past a variety of peoplea dark-skinned, curly-haired man in a suit carrying an instrument case, a cluster of girls strolling around in the company of an older woman, the gorgeous afternoon sun shining upon their defined cheekbones and copper complexions, and a woman whose luscious, sable locks perfectly framed her tanned features as she placidly sipped at her limeade, her lips pursing around the rim.

In the background stood a superbly constructed building, its giant, gilded principle doors facing eastwards. Multiple wings composed the structure, two of them facing the Square. Behind the grand doors and lion sculptures ruled the Council, the Republic's ruling entity. Tucked away in the Dome, the center of the Wing, the Council convened to uphold the City's greatness, spending long hours poring over proposition after proposition. It also housed the Republic's largest cathedral, which was exclusively reserved for celebrations and sheltering purposes, if the times called for so.

Taking too sharp of a turn, Valé skidded and tumbled to the ground, a leather journal rolling out of the basket and landing on the ground with a thump. She winced when she crashed against the pavement. Wounds from a similar crash the week before reopened, tiny drops of blood peeking through the narrow openings in her skin.