𝐈.𝐗𝐈𝐈

❝𝑻𝒐 𝒃𝒖𝒓𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒊𝒓𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒌𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒆𝒕 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒑𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒏 𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒔

❝𝑻𝒐 𝒃𝒖𝒓𝒏 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒊𝒓𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒌𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒆𝒕 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒑𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒔𝒉𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒏 𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒔.❞
— 𝐅𝐄𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐎 𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐈𝐀 𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐂𝐀

꧁꧂

"THANK YOU SO MUCH!" PETRA EXCLAIMED. Valen dropped the bulky briefcase, a large echoing thud resonating through the courtyard. Straightening, she gingerly massaged her aching shoulders—what had the woman been thinking, packing so many things? As far as her knowledge ran, her travels would only last for the weekend.

"No worries," Valen groaned. On standby idled the woman's mare, a dark gray horse whose mane shone brilliantly under the afternoon sun. Valen eyed the equine rather enviously. Though she lacked a family of her own, she would have liked spending her days off with an equivalent—but that was asking too much of the universe.

Truly, nobody could replace her family.

Petra raked a hand in its mane, smoothing any tangles. "Do you suppose she can bear the weight?" Valen questioned wryly.

"Of course she can," Petra answered brightly, smiling. Her palm traced the length of its neck. "She's bred for this, after all." Surprise brightened her features, like she'd recalled something pressing. "Oh my, I just asked you to help, yet I haven't asked you a thing about your plans."

"You're alright," Valen assured—what was there to ask? She, like a plethora of refugees, had no kin to speak of. "As of now, there's nothing impressive on my agenda. I'll be staying on base."

"You're staying?" Valen nodded soundly. "You could have traveled on your own. Nedlay District is lovely around this time of year."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. My family and I visited for their summer festivities a couple years ago. It's splendid," Petra recounted, dazed—likely looking back on the trip. Her trance lasted for a second more before she returned to reality. "It's a shame. If you would have told me this earlier, I would've invited you along. My family wouldn't have minded you."

"You sound so certain," Valen said, pessimism seeping her speech. The idealism amused her.

"Because I am certain. My parents aren't as judgemental as you think. In fact, they even suggested I bring you along some time." The smile gradually faded from Petra's lips, contemplation taking over. "How do you do it?"

Valen blinked. "How do I do what?" she questioned.

"You're so calm and composed. You're even quieter than Eld. Yet it's like you're the loudest in the room," Petra said. "You even manage to catch the Captain's attention. And he isn't an easily intrigued man."