two.

"do you believe in fate?"

──────

𝐒𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐓

AFTER they had finished breakfast, Genevieve bid farewell to her friends, and began to tread towards her first class of the day.

She was always well versed in potions, they intrigued her from a young age. So, it was nice having a class she was good at in the morning, but it didn't make actually going to the class any easier.

Once she arrived, she was thankful that it was just a minute before class had actually begun, because at least she wasn't late on the first day of school. She smiled softly as she walked in, not really sure why she had. It was almost a reflex, even if she was in a room filled to the brim with people who disliked her- for some reason. Even the Professor didn't return the smile, but then again, Snape never smiled.

Everyone had chosen to sit with their friends. But given the situation, Gen didn't necessarily have any friends to sit with, so she found herself searching the room for somewhere quiet to sit. Her eyes landed on an empty station towards the back, and she blew out a breath she wasn't even aware that she was holding, making her way towards it. Her robe swayed a bit, and within a blink of an eye she took the seat, immediately taking out her supplies.

The task for the day seemed easy. A simple sleeping potion, it didn't need to be perfect, just at least well attempted enough that it was obvious they were trying- and had some sort of recollection of the previous years class. So, gulping back any nervousness the girl had, she reached for her quill, and inked it, opening up to a fresh page in her journal.

Bringing the tip of it to the paper, she had just wrote down the first letter of her name— when the door made a creaking noise, signifying it had been opened.

"Well how lovely it is for you to join us, Mr. Riddle."

With that, Gens head whipped up, and she allowed her eyes to land on the boy. He looked...calm. Any other normal person would be freaking out if they were late for his class, but for some reason, he just stared at the Professor blankly. Soon, a small, hidden smirk played on his lips, and he held up his hand. "I've got a pass."

Snape furrowed his eyebrows to the center of his face, and began to walk towards him, snatching the parchment from his hands and unfolding it.

Still calm, the Slytherin scratched the back of his head, and rolled his eyes just slightly, as if he couldn't be bothered with what Snape was doing.

Snape looked up at him, rose an eyebrow, and handed him back the pass. "Very well." He said sternly, "Choose a seat. I'm sure your partner will fill you in on what it is that we're doing." He gave him one last stern stare, and then moved back down the aisles, looking over the students as they worked.

The Slytherin boy tilted his head, and rolled his eyes a bit, looking around the classroom. From his manner, she could tell how annoyed he was the seats were taken. Gen blinked, tearing her eyes away from him as she saw him turn to look at her table, and finishing her heading. She knew too well that her table was the last open, but she was hoping, praying in fact, that another table would open up miraculously.

But before she could think further into it, a huff sound was heard, and the boy slumped into the seat next to her.

He didn't say anything, just reached into his bag, and pulled out his own materials, brown eyes glued to his bag.